Sunday 21 February 2016

Trespassing ?

Sunday 21st February 2016. Another Audax length Ride.

I had opted not to ride yesterday anticipating better weather today. My choice was a good one as the weather was much nicer.
None of the other Alresford Groupetta riders were able to join me so once again I could please myself as to where I went. I decided to do the circuit to the north of Basingstoke, but this time in a clockwise direction as previous rides all seem to have gone the other way. Apart from a little very light drizzle it was fine and much warmer than of late. I paused to get a drink at the One Stop Shop in Oakley for once eschewing a visit to Jolly Olly's before crossing the Whitchurch to Basingstoke road. The roads were very wet and muddy in many places, also lots of loose grit which had washed out of neighbouring field gateways and ditches.
Everywhere there were lots of snowdrops, in the Candover Valley especially so. Lots of daffodils too, some times with the snowdrops. 

Snowdrops everywhere in the hedges and on the verges in the Candover Valley.

Not many birds about, no doubt the strong winds making them keep to the more sheltered habitats. I did see a few Pied Wagtails in one village.
I had to use the A339 for about half a mile causing some clown in a Chelsea tractor to hoot indignantly when I dared to use the road. There was so little space that a twelve wheeler just behind him had room to pass without any fuss. Next a very strange incident. As I waited to turn right I took my place in the centre of the road having signalled very clearly before and as I did so, I slowed up as there were three cars coming from the opposite direction, anticipating turning as soon as they had passed. The first car stopped to let me turn in front and the driver of the car behind pulled out to pass before he realised that the road was not clear. I dived into the side road and disappeared quickly as there was a lot of arm waving! Of course the first car should not have stopped in the circumstances.
I passed a number of signposts indicating the proximity of Baughurst and Pamber End and I did wonder if I might see either Richard or David. 

The Fox & Goose.

I was making such good time that I did not stop for a beer until I got to the Fox & Goose in Greywell.
It was so hot in the pub and so busy that I sat in the garden and ate my own food. As you will see from my splits I had managed a moving speed of almost 13 mph thus far. Of course the return home from there was much more hilly and was into the wind so my average speed for the return leg was only 11 mph.
As I rode from Greywell to Upton Grey I was struggling as the wind was so strong and although the sun was shining brightly there was drizzle from low cloud underneath the sun. 
Once I got to Herriard I chose not to go back via the Candover Valley but instead go via Medstead. Stopping briefly for a break and more food on a bench outside the village church in Lasham.
In Ropley a car started to pull out of a side road in front of me, but we both stopped in time before we collided. A close shave indeed.
I was home well before my target time of 5 p.m. Here are my full details for the day:-


I have had another good week riding, winning both the TUK medal and the KOM badge.  
It is good to see that PinkPal has broken her duck for 2016, Paddy & Mark (?)  still to do so.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment