Sunday 14 February 2016

Odiham & Back the Long Way.


Sunday 14th Feb 2016. It was "Be Nice to Bryce Day"

The omens were good when as I started out a large 12 wheeler truck past me along the Avenue crossing onto the far side of the road to pass. All day cars meeting me on the road were very polite often stopping completely and not once on the narrow lanes did an overtaking vehicle push past, they all waited until they were waved by. Fantastic!
I had been unable to persuade anyone else from the Groupetta to join me, all too busy with their Valentines I guess. So I rode alone at my own pace following my nose as I had no clear idea as to where I was going. I love this kind of ride when I make up my mind at the last minute as I approach a junction as to which way I will go.
I found myself climbing through Ellisfield Village once more picking my way as there was lots of grit on this road again. I shouted warnings to many of the cyclists whizzing down the hill. One I recognized. It was my friend Ray who I had not seen for ages. A very pleasant meeting, we stopped and chatted for about five minutes before continuing our merry ways. I passed through Herriard and Upton Grey and decided I would stop in Odiham to call on another friend, Dave, unfortunately he was not at home. So I needed to revise my plans. It was too early to stop for lunch so I carried on towards Farnham along the very busy A287. I left this to ride through Crondall as I didn't want to go into Farnham. When I got to Bentley it was the perfect time for lunch. About one o'clock.
I went into the Star which was extremely busy. Lots of families enjoying lunch. Despite this I was well looked after. There was no table available for a single cyclist but I was invited to sit at the bar. I ordered a toasted Panini and it arrived in a very short time. It was just what I needed, along with a pint of Moondance, a local ale, it set me up for the afternoon. I chatted to several other groups of folk. One with a walker from Farnham who told me he was also a cyclist helping with the Sky Rides in Farnham. Another guy tried to guess my age having already discovered I had already ridden 28 miles, he was 9 years out! He was from South Warnborough. He told his kids that I had ridden my bike to the pub. They said so what! I just loved their innocence.

Here is my map and data for the day from which you will be able to see I did not take the shortest route home.


I  decided to head towards Binsted and before I knew it I was through the village and heading south towards Kingsley and Blackmore. On impulse I headed for Liss and Petersfield making use of the cycle path along the A3. 
I stopped for a coffee at The Cloisters Cafe, one of our favourite stops. They had stopped serving food, so no cake. 
I could not face the climb of Stoner Hill, preferring several smaller climbs through Stroud, Ramsdean and the Meons.

A Hill to Climb. Nah! Not today me thinks.

Once over the hill from West Meon I chose to tackle the last few miles via Cheriton and the familiar lane via Tichborne. Pausing to look at the Itchen where these swans and ducks were feeding.

I completed my day just before five o'clock. These lighter evenings relieving the pressure somewhat.

It had been a fantastic day, lots of hard work but very satisfying.
I have managed to win the TUK medal again with about 107 miles in the week. the only other contender being Andrew who as far as I know managed about 47 miles. 

Gridironman.





No comments:

Post a Comment