Monday 1 February 2016

Drizzle fails to make me mizzy.

Sunday 31st Jan 2016. Windrush Winter Warmer, an Audax.

I was up at six to drive to Ashton Keynes for a 9 a.m. start. I had entered some time ago for my first Audax this year. I wanted to ride somewhere fresh so had chosen this event as it started near my brother's home on the borders of Wiltshire and Gloucestershire. I was a little concerned about the weather forecast, but decided that it would be a bit damp with some strong breezes but felt I could cope with that. In fact the weather forecast was spot on with light rain (i.e. drizzle for about 35 of the 68 miles and a strong headwind over the last 18 miles). 


The saving grace was the first 30 miles were remarkable flat hence the good speed achieved.  I was one of the first away from the start and started counting the riders overtaking me. I gave up when I got to 100.  There were quite a few punctures, so many of the riders who passed me earlier were still out on the road when I finished. One of my favourite ploys to keep up a good pace without doing too much is to latch on the the back of a group and tuck in behind for a mile or two but hen ease off and wait for the next bunch. 
There was great camaraderie with many shouted greetings and words of encouragement and some waspish barbs too. 

A surprisingly clean Posh.

At both controle stops I had some good chats with others and was very chuffed when one guy told me how much he liked Posh. He thought it was a lovely bike and very clean considering the very muddy roads. Posh did look fairly tidy even after the 68 miles. Click on the picture to enlarge it and see what you think!

The Crud Catcher.


I kept reasonably clean too thanks partly to the Crud Catcher I fitted recently. My legs were the dirtiest part of me. Since getting home I have washed everything including my hat and gloves.






On one stretch where there were not many other riders around I spotted one in a blue jacket about 300 yards ahead of me and decided my task was to catch up. It took me the best part of 4 miles to do so.

There were some lovely spring flowers around, especially snowdrops and daffodils, also aconites.

Along the Windrush Valley there was a lot of flooding, some on the road. Also our arch enemy Mr Hedge Slasher had been at work so I was on tenterhooks, fearing a puncture, but I got through unscathed. Others were less fortunate.

Flooding near Burford. Can you spot the cyclists on the road in the distance?


I completed the course in an overall time of 6 hours 22 minutes, So I was well pleased with that as it is well within the Audax guidelines.

It was only three miles to my brother Robin's house so by 4 o'clock I had driven there and had a shower. Robin also had delayed their roast chicken lunch so I could share it with them. So we had high tea before I left at about 6.15. Thanks Robin!

We reminisced about our cycling together some 64 years ago along the same roads through Minster Lovell and Burford. I have not cycled on them since.

A great day, despite the weather.

Gridironman.


No comments:

Post a Comment