Thursday 25 February 2016

"The Last of the Summer Wine"

After a couple of days working in the garden I got around to riding my bike once more. Today 25th February 2016 I joined a couple of mates for a ride to Jolly Olly's in Oakley.

I set off from home just before 9 o'clock and rode over to Barton Stacey where I met with my two pals. After a coffee and a chat we set off for Jolly Olly's taking the most usual route. It was a lovely day after the sharp overnight frost. (It was minus 4 deg C when I left home but by 10.30 it was more like plus 2 deg C).  
As we pottered along we enjoyed more chatting and I was reminded of the TV series "The Last of the Summer Wine".  For some strange reason It was suggested that I was like Howard! We named the other two as Cleggy and Truely and agreed another of our absent friends would be Foggy. (This will all be a bit of a challenge for those of you who have never seen the programme.)  I wonder if some of you might speculate on who is who?
We had a very nice light lunch at the Cafe. Afterwards I abandoned the other two to explore the roads to the east of Oakley.
After a quick circuit of part of the town I headed into Basingstoke and found my way up to Farleigh Wallop, my highest point for the day. The advantage of this was that it was nearly all downhill on my way home. 
Just before Axford the road was blocked by a large lorry unloading. As I waited in the queue the driver of one of the cars told me he thought I could sneak through. I thanked him and found he was correct, so sped on my way.

I stopped for a while in the churchyard at Preston Candover where this large tree had blown down. It was not surprising when one can see how small is the spread of the roots



As I sat enjoying the sunshine and a small snack a Red Kite flew over.



Lovely flowers here too. 

Climbing the hill from Swaratton I spotted this large flock of gulls following the tractor tilling the field.

Eventually I was home about 3.30 after a great fun day out and I was pleasantly surprised to find I had clocked over 50 miles.

Howard (AKA Gridironman).

No comments:

Post a Comment