Sunday 13 March 2016

Winchester CTC Short Circuit of the city.

Saturday 12th March 2016.

I was staying at my daughter's house in Kings Worthy so it was only a short ride to the start for once. 
There was a very good turnout, on what was a proper springlike day with lots of sunshine. David had planned an interesting way out of town climbing Quarry Road to join the Alresford Road. Many of the group had not done that before. The Alresford Road was very busy so it was great when we turned off to drop back into the Itchen Valley at Easton.
As we left the village one of the group had a flat tyre. I, knowing the route to the tea stop, told the others to continue and I waited to assist and guide the unfortunate rider the rest of the way. 
We could not find the cause of the problem but after changing the tube we set off again. However all was not well, the tyre was not sitting on the rim correctly. Letting down the tube and re-inflating seemed to help but the rider decided that it still was not right, so he decided to go home to have a proper look at the matter.
I continued to the tea stop where I  found the other 15 still waiting for their tea to be served. I added my order to the list and we were all served together.

Afterwards some of the rugby fans decided to go home whilst ten of us carried on past Three Maids Hill, through Littleton to Sparsholt. Here we turned for home via Dean Lane. I left the group near Harestock and returned to Kings Worthy.

I had only missed the first 10 mins of the Six nations match between England and Wales. What an exciting match! Glad I saw the best part of it.
A short but enjoyable ride which perfectly fitted in with my other commitments.

No comments:

Post a Comment