Sunday 20 March 2016

Phil Hampton Memorial Ride

Saturday 19th March 2016.

The culmination of another good week's cycling. I rode to Medstead to join the Alton CTC for one of their special events. Certainly not the easiest way to start a 50 mile event as Medstead is over 400 feet higher than home and the breeze was in my face too. My average speed to the start was only 9.4 mph whereas the speed on the reverse route home after the event was 16.7 mph.
The scene in the Hall.

The village hall was buzzing with the riders having a last minute chat and indulging in the free coffee and biscuits. Dan waiting for others to sign in while Janice chats in the background. 

One of my friends Brian unloading his bike,

The Peleton about to depart. (Picture from Alton CTC FB Page)
Can you spot me?
At ten we were let loose onto the unsuspecting public filling the nearby lanes with cycling fanatics. I was in the middle of the peleton for a short while but it was not long before most of them had come past and were gradually disappearing into the distance. I could see one rider in my mirror about 200 yards behind me for a long time, maintaining about the same pace, however I did not see him/her after Tunworth, so maybe he/she was on the shorter 30 mile route.
Just after Upton Grey I passed a guy, with a bright yellow Hewitt, replacing a flat tube. I was now on my own and trundling along at my own decent pace. In the Old Basing area I managed to muddle up my memory of the route with that of another ride and found myself on the wrong road. Fortunately I had only gone a short way before I realized and was soon back on course. My mistake was actually good news for the rider on the Hewitt, for while I was deviating he had passed me and had also gone astray, so I was able to get him back on the right route. We rode together for the next 20 miles or so enjoying a chat as we went.
He left me behind on the climb to Ibworth but waited for me at the top. (Was this the steepest climb of the day? It certainly felt like it).
Descending from Ibworth at speed I had a frightening moment when on a sharp left hand bend I realized the road was potholed and covered in grit. I shouted a warning to my friend and realizing I mustn't brake took the corner far too fast narrowly missing a large pothole on the exit.
Over the next few miles through Oakley and North Waltham we were passed by other riders who had been passed by us while they took coffee breaks. 
After climbing the short hill under the M3 I had to pause a while as I was getting a bit tired and my Hewitt friend disappeared into the distance. (I did see him once more at the finish so was able to thank him for his company on the ride).
After Preston Candover at the top of the ridge I passed two guys who had paused for a break. They followed me down the hill into Old Alresford but as I climbed the lane from Old Alresford place they appeared ahead of me having taken a short cut, unintentionally they told me later, up Kiln Lane. I tried to keep up with them but failed as they pulled away over the ridge from Bighton to Ropley.
I usually romp up the hill from Ropley to Lyeway but with over 50 miles in my legs I struggled to make it even in bottom gear. Only a couple of miles now and I was back at the hall. Total overall time for the course 4 hrs 45 mins. 
I was really glad to have done so well and enjoyed the inevitable debrief, together with a cheese and tomato roll and a slice of delicious cake made by Janice. 
Our thanks to Dan & Janice and their other helpers for organizing a great event.

I was even home in time to watch the second half of the Welsh tryfest and later of course to see England manage to defeat the French and win the Grand Slam.



Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment