Tuesday 15 March 2016

Lunch at the Hawk Conservancy


Another excellent day out, with the company of some friends for about 33 miles of it. I rode alone to Crawley Pond where I joined the others. We decided to go to the Hawk Conservancy for our coffee/lunch break. We climbed over the ridge to Leckford and thence into Longstock. Here we had an unplanned stop of 17 mins while Karen, with some help, had to replace a flat tyre. As usual I trailed on the hills but I was never too far behind and we made good time past Red Rice and through Abbots Ann and Monxton. It was almost mid day when we arrived, so I and a couple of others had a cooked meal while the others rhapsidised over the ginger cake, two pieces for some? We could see a Barn Owl on display from the cafe window.
A few nice (?) pongs along the way with one farmer spreading muck on the field near the Conservancy. A lot of bird activity, I think the brighter weather is encouraging them like us to think maybe spring is here.
A different route back to CP with a split near Longstock wher three of us went South to Houghton and Kings Somborne and four rejoined our outward route in reverse via Leckford.
After Kings Somborne PP and I were now on the last few miles to CP while another rider headed over Farley Mount. We made good time into the breeze thanks to PP pacing me and giving me some shelter. She is definitely getting her previous form back. She was in the lead for most of the day.
I had a short break at CP before tackling the last few miles home. varying my route a little.
By the time I arrived home at 3.30 pm I had covered almost 55 miles and I had broken through the 1,000 miles barrier for the year.
Although I was on Sporty, the slower of my two bikes, I had managed a decent moving speed of almost 12 mph. Thanks guys for helping me along.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment