Thursday 3 March 2016

Alresford Groupetta/HCMF Meet at Blacknest.

Thursday 3rd March 2016.

I was keen to try out my legs after the punishment they had taken last Sunday so I suggested a ride for the Groupetta to join the HCMF meet at The Jolly Farmer, Blacknest. I plotted a route of about 36 miles which seemed reasonable. PinkPal & Andrew joined me and we set off just after 10.30. It was good to be back in the saddle once more and I was pleased that I felt fine once I had got warmed up. Only one major climb on our outward journey, the hill to Medstead. I managed this just fine. PinkPal is getting back her fitness too, having ridden at least once a week recently, so she climbed it well too.We opted to descend to Alton via the lane through Thedden and Wivelrod rather than the busier road through Beech.Just after Holybourne the road was closed for major works, however we were allowed through on our bikes.

At the pub we found Charles, Roger, Mick and David and soon afterwards we were joined by Diana & Ray. We had some tasty food chosen from an interesting and unusual menu. The beer was OK too.As we needed to be back by mid afternoon we did not tarry long once we had eaten and headed off back up the hill to Binsted. Not ideal just after lunch as it is quite steep near the top, however we all managed it well and soon were passing through East and West Worldham. There are a lot of converted Oast Houses in this area so hops must  have been a major crop here at one time. Once through Farringdon we encountered our last major climb of the day up Brightstone Lane. (However, we did not shirk when nearly home taking the route over White Hill to finish off the ride.)
I always enjoy the ride down through Ropley, lots of small rough patches, irregularities to avoid and parked vehicles to weave around. A good test of bike handling without any effort. We eventually arrived home before 3 p.m. having enjoyed a good day together. Much more sociable than my ride last Sunday and a lot less hilly!

Gridironman.


No comments:

Post a Comment