Sunday 5 March 2017

Pancakes and Windy Days.

Tuesday 28th February 2017.
The Pedallers Search for Pancakes.





Thursday 2nd March 2017.
HCMF Meet at The Royal Oak, 
Goodworth Clatford.

Cycmon persuaded my to take the interesting way to the RV, rather than going along the much travelled B3047. Interesting climb within the first three miles up Mollie's Dismount, with the very strong wind in our faces. It was so blustery at first that I was nearly blown off course as I rounded the bend by the cottages in Abbotstone. Thankfully the hill did provide us with some shelter as we climbed the lea side. Another cyclist who had been just ahead of us turned round and went back to Itchen Stoke. We battled on, taking sheltered lanes as far as possible but I still needed a breather at 11.5 miles, in Stoke Charity. 

The hill out of Barton Stacey was also a real challenge. I struggle on it normally (it is about 8%), but with the wind in my face I only just managed it. Once more I was grateful for a breather. This one on the wooden bench beside the trig point in Memory of Paul Fanes. 

Through Chilbolton and Wherwell we found it much easier as we were more sheltered. We arrived at the pub well after noon to find another six fellows there. Two more joined us later. A somewhat disappointing turnout for a beautiful sunny day. (OK perhaps it was too windy for some). We had a animated and enjoyable lunch with chats about ancient bikes, travel plans and the low numbers attending before setting off to find an alternative route home. Of course, as we know sod's law decreed that the wind would have abated considerably by now and was not even strong enough to wave the tree branches. On the plus side at least it wasn't in our faces. As you can see from the split times we could only just manage double figures for our speed to the pub compared with 11.4 on our way home. I was happy to get home for a reviving shower and a cup Rosie! Thanks Cycmon for supporting me so well when I needed encouragement.


Gridironman Cresting the hill 
between Leckford & Crawley in Bright Sunshine.


Saturday 4th March 2017.
Joined the CTC for part of the ride to Braishfield.



To avoid driving to Winchester I decided that I would instead shorten my day's riding by finding my own way to the Coffee Stop at The Waitrose Farm Shop, Longstock. This also meant I could go at my own pace which seems to have become slower over my last 20 rides.
My plan worked well. I left home around 9 a.m. and got to the cafe at 10:45. I had to wait nearly 25 mins before the Group started to arrive. Here is my summary of the day:



The day was a good one for me as I was able to link up with the CTC riders and enjoy their company whilst for most of the day travelling at my own pace. Of course I know they always accommodate slower riders but it does add pressure to the slower riders to go faster than they would ideally like. 


Gridironman.


No comments:

Post a Comment