Sunday 26 March 2017

Explorations












To round off the week I had an exceptionally enjoyable ride with Andrew. I had planned another ride of exploration, this time to go to the QE Country Park via the new Cycle Path from the Puriton Roundabout, but when I woke on Sunday morning I did not feel at all like riding as I was full of aches and pains after gardening all day yesterday. I convinced myself to go and I am so glad that I did because we enjoyed a lovely spring ride. 
The tree that had diverted us last week near West Meon had been removed. Must have taken a lot of hard work even with modern saws.
The route was a familiar one until we got to near Weston. Along the way we saw a lot of other cyclists out enjoying the spring weather. We saw a brimstone butterfly and heard a green woodpecker calling. 

Our first step into the unknown was into Weston village which is now isolated from Petersfield only a mile away by the A3. We were very fascinated by the approach to the village through an old cutting with large trees growing out of the sides.




There are a couple of footpaths and a bridleway from the village but only the one road in.












The New Cycle Path.



We retraced our ride to the Puriton Roundabout and took the new cycle path. The top of it is some way above the A3 itself but he climb is not hard.






View of the A3 from the path.
There is a good cafe at the centre and I enjoyed a piece of bread pudding and a coffee while Andrew had wild boar baguette! We chatted with some other visitors and then found ourselves a good route homewards. We went under the A3 then along a cycle path to the bottom of the road over the ridge to Clanfield. As we climbed I passed a couple of cyclists chatting by the roadside. I recognized one of them as Dave Pilbeam who is, along with his wife Pam, leading the CTC Holiday I am joining in April, so of course I stopped to have a word with him. We then climbed almost to the top of Butser Hill and paused to enjoy the great views in all directions. The descent of Harvesting Hill is much nicer than the ascent!
To round off our day we climbed Wheeley Down and then in Cheriton we had a couple of pints in the sunshine along with survivors of the Battle of Cheriton. When I asked them why they were not on the battlefield they replied "We have made a strategic withdrawal!"
Thanks Andrew for your company and companionship on a spectacular day.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment