Sunday 12 March 2017

A Hilly Fifty, Another visit to Braishfield & Scottie's Maiden Trip.




Tuesday 7th March 2017.A Hilly Fifty.


I decided to join the Pedallers despite some recent problems with my energy levels. I rode to the start knowing that we would most likely be riding northwards so I could if necessary take a shortcut home. Having decided to head to Overton to start with, I led the group through Hunton and along the A30 towards Popham. We had several hills to climb before we got to Overton and  I drifted to the back. We paused in Overton to decide where to go next and the vote was onwards and upwards to Kingsclere. I set off immediately knowing the others would catch me on the hills. Take a look at the profile and you will see how the route challenged us. However it was a lovely day and the view from the top of White Hill and then a fast descent, (34 mph), made it all worthwhile. A huge kite flew over us as we climbed one of the hills and drifted away in search of other prey!



After a very enjoyable coffee break where the staff made us feel very welcome allowing us to move the tables so we could all sit together. Then we decided not to climb back up White Hill but take the busy main road for a little way and then climb the easier way to Hannington.

In North Waltham Cycmon and I left the others to find our own way home via the Candover Valley. Here we paused for Cycmon to change his library books:

I felt quite tired by the time I got to Alresford but not too much so that I found a creative last mile or too to ensure we had reached the magic 50!
Thanks to my 8 pals for looking after me so well.

Thursday 9th March 2017.

Another visit to the Wheatsheaf, Braishfield.

Having been to the Wheatsheaf last Saturday I suggested to Cycmon that we should find an alternative way to the one we had used then. Here is our map of the day:



Another lovely spring day which brought out a much larger number of HCMF members. It also brought out lots of lovely flowers both in the hedgerows and gardens, celandines scattered like flakes of gold and daffodils everywhere. The birds were singing well too, skylarks, robins and many others. I was so intoxicated by my focus on wild life that I totally missed spotting this magnificent vehicle.

Simon's comment:
Today I thought I saw a Ghost but that was just a Phantom of my imagination. In fact it was a Roll Royce Phantom with its huge 7 litre engine returning about 10 miles to the gallon outside the Bear and Ragged Staff. I had a good chat with the owner - sorry Bryce Mansfield for holding you back. Obviously the human body is far more efficient as I covered another 50 miles on a pint of beer and about the same in water! Today at the Wheatsheaf Braishfield for the Thursday Cycling Fellowship Meet.




Light and shade along the Test vall

My arms were beginning to ache for some reason so I needed a couple of stops to relax including a nice one by Crawley Pond.


Thanks to my pal Cycmon once more for his considerate company.




Saturday 11th March 2017.Scottie's Maiden Ride.


It was time to test Scottie as I will be riding him at a Veteran Cycle day next Sunday (19th March). 
Cycmon came to collect me bringing a saddle bag for me to borrow. He had deliberately chosen a very easy route for me as Scottie only has two gears. This was a good choice as I managed all of the hills






























Gathering for the start.

We went to Twyford for coffee and cake at the Bean Below. Visited the Churchyard for a photo shoot too. We then rode to the centre of the City to join Ian and 21 others for the CTC Easy Afternoon Ride. 

I only rode about 7 miles with the group before I suffered what frank Spencer would call a "bit of bother". First my saddle tipped forward when I hit a section of rough road and then the rear mudguard started to rattle. One of the clips had broken. Well it was quite old! My guardian angel Cycmon stepped in and fitted a cable tie to stop the rattled and tightened the saddle clip. His work was not done however as near the ford we met a young lady from Winchester, Michelle, who had loose cleats. Simon was able to lend her a tool to tighten them to enable her to ride home safely.
Cycmon rode on to catch up with the others while I chatted with Michelle until we parted company in Itchen Stoke. I was home in time to see England annihilate Scotland in the Six Nations match. I did feel a little sorry for Scotland who did seem to have more than their fair share of bad luck.

I just hope you all had as great a week as I have had. Feeling much more like my normal self now!

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment