Sunday 31 May 2015

Wiggle Bournemouth Sportive.

Saturday 30th May 2015. 

After the hectic events of the last week I was determined to get out on my bike once more. I joined Cycmon and PinkPal to ride this Sportive event. I was not disappointed, it proved to be a very exciting and rewarding ride.
Cycmon kindly picked me up in his car and we arrived at the venue in Matchams at around 7.45. We met PinkPal and joined the queue for the start. I have never seen so many cyclists together before. I believe there were 2,000 taking part. We were released in batches and our group was away just after 8.30.
The first 15 miles were very easy and I covered them in under an hour. However I could not keep up with my two pals, they seemed to be intent on achieving a Gold certificate. I knew I needed to conserve my effort so let them disappear into the distance. 
Our route was on some familiar roads near Ringwood and Fordingbridge then we were onto new ground climbing over a ridge to Coombe Bissett. I sat on the verge at  the top of the hill for a break and to text my friend Caroline who had enquired if I was cycling. 
The course now turned westwards along a very pretty valley through Bishopstone, Broad Chalke and Fifield Bavant. I had ridden this road before when I stayed in the Youth Hostel in Salisbury a few years ago. I stopped to lend my pump to a guy with a flat tyre. That cost me 7 minutes. Soon afterwards I arrived at the first feed stop in the village of Ebbesbourne Wake. No sign of my pals, so after a feed and topping up my bottle. I got going again. We were now over half distance and near Berwick St. John had our toughest hill of the day we climbed over 400 feet to nearly 900 feet. I struggled to make it and some riders had to walk as they did not have low enough gears. Our reward was the great views from the top then a lovely long downhill for about 5 miles.


View from the highest hill in Dorset looking towards Tollard Royal.
The great thing about these rides is that you are never alone for long. There was a continuous stream of faster riders coming past and if they are not going too fast one can get on the wheels for a while and enjoy the drafting effect. Sadly I could not manage to keep up for long. I did however manage to overtake some riders myself and rode with some for a while.

As we got nearer to Ringwood we were treated to another feed stop in the village of Woodlands. I needed the break as the next few miles were testing with many little ups and downs which were steep enough for me to need my granny ring. Of course having covered 50+ miles I was also getting very tired.  We took a loop around to Edmondsham & Alderholt before heading past Ringwood back to the finish. Here is my official time certificate, bearing in mind I stopped to help for 7 mins I had almost achieved my aim of finishing within 6 hours. 



My map & data including my actual riding time are as follows:




I found my two mates waiting for me just after I had crossed the finishing line and we had a little chat, comparing our experiences, before heading home. Thanks Cycmon for the lift and for both for sharing the day with me and a couple of thousand others.

I have analysed the official results and having adjusted for Simon riding the Standard and not the Epic here are my version of the results


  1. Total Number Completing the Event       1888
  2. Total Number completing the Standard    794
  3. PinkPal's position in standard                  601
  4. Cycmon's position                                  657
  5. Gridironman's position                           708


Not a bad result for the Alresford Groupetta!

I was delivered home by Cycmon before 4 p.m. and enjoyed a hot bath and a glass of beer to celebrate. But oh! Did my legs ache!
Sadly no one at home to share the  experience with.

Gridironman.

2 comments: