Sunday 17 May 2015

A Strange Week.

Week Ending Sunday 17th May 2015.
No signs of any of the Alresford Groupetta even getting near the ton this week. Though we did manage 144 between us! We have all had various reasons for not doing many miles. Poor Paddy tried a repeat of Caroline's accident in her ford. Fortunately his injuries were not so severe but he has been unable to cycle any more this week, so his total is a modest 15. Simon had a number of other commitments but did manage about 40  today. I have been unable to ride until today because of looking after Jean, but I did get up early and rode to Petersfield for a breakfast stop at the Cloisters Cafe. More details below. Undoubtedly the best effort this week has been by our roving  continental reporter who had two fabulously Nice rides on the Cote d'Azur. Here is one of her route maps. Far more interesting than mine! 

She racked up a total of 47. (I think she could have ridden today but I believe she was too busy enjoying the delights of the Watercress festival). 

Saturday 16th May 2015.
Although I didn't have time to ride with John Spiers and the Winchester CTC, I did manage to join them at the pub in Upper Clatford for lunch. It was as always good to see many old friends, particularly Mary and Don both of whom I'd not seen for ages.
When they left to continue their ride I followed Phil who was on his bike to have coffee in his garden in Andover. We had a great time drinking far too much delicious coffee and chatting about everything. Thanks Phil.
After I left him I paid another visit to the HRCH before heading home to watch stage 7 of the Giro d'Italia.

Sunday 17th May 2015.
I was awake early, (the result of that coffee?), so not wanting to lie abed on such a nice morning I got out the bike and set off just after 7.30 for Petersfield. I followed a well ridden route, but this time in an anti clockwise direction for a change. Here is my map:

I made good progress with little traffic to deal with and for once used the A272 from Bramdean instead of taking the country route. I puffed up the hill to Brockwood but for most of the way I felt surprisingly able despite not having ridden for a week.

Red Campion.

Solomon's Seal.

Lots of flowers to add to the list of those showing in the hedgerows and woods too. Red Campion, Purple Vetch, and Solomon's Seal.

I took a small loop through Buriton before entering Petersfield and calling at the Cloisters Cafe for a latte.

 I climbed Stoner Hill managing it quite well without needing to use my bottom gear. I am quite pleased with this picture of Ashford Hangers taken near the top of Stoner Hill. How green the trees are now compared to how they looked just a couple of weeks ago.

Ashford Hangers Nature Reserve.
It was too short a route to go directly home so I deviated through Four Marks where I spotted this tree, loaded with blossom.

I was now nearly home so I threw all my efforts into riding at speed to get my average for the day to over 12 mph. I avoided the town centre because of the Watercress festival and went via Drove Lane. Lots of cars here because of the diversions.

A most satisfactory ride. Helped dispel my demons!

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment