Monday 25 May 2015

Exploring with John Spiers and the Winchester CTC.

Saturday 23rd may 2015. 

After a very traumatic week I decided on Saturday to get myself out on the bike with my friends rather than to sit about moping at home. I set off at 12.50 p.m. to join John Spiers for his easy afternoon ride with the Winchester CTC. Managed to get to the start in near to record time 31 mins and 33 secs. Felt quite happy that I'd not forgotten how to turn the pedals.
There were 15 of us, some good friends of many years, others new ones. I forgot to put my helmet back on before leading the group up the little footpath taking us out on to the Andover road but John spotted it on top of the rubbish bin and brought it to me. Thanks John!
We had been blessed with a very pleasant day for cycling, for once that cool nip in the air had gone away. 
Our route was an innovative one through a number of little lanes that none of us had ridden before, mainly because they did not really go anywhere!
Here is a map of our route, see if you can spot the unusual portions.


Maybe that is a lttle unfair, but if you look at my Garmin Route here you can enlarge the map and see the detail. 


It was a short but very enjoyable ride as is always the case with John who makes a real effort to bring our attention to some matters of interest, sometimes geographical, sometimes historical or topical. 
 Eventually we arrived at the tea stop, Sacher and Strudel in Shawford. Here we enjoyed delicious coffee/tea and very tasty cakes before continuing our ride back to Winchester. I was treated by Jenny, many thanks Jenny, and everyone was so kind, talking about my recent loss sympathetically. It is at times like these when friends can do so much to help just by being there for one.
We were soon back in Winchester where I left the others and gave myself another challenge, to ride up Quarry Hill. i managed a PB. here is the Strava detail:

Quarry Hill Strava record.
I was only 251 st, but 24 people were slower! One of life's little triumphs. 
I rode a little of the A31 before turning towards Avington down the lanes, fondly expecting it to be all downhill. I clearly had forgotten that it actually has several small climbs in it. 

I eventually arrived hoime just after 5 o'clock. Just time for a change and a quick shower before going out to my daughter's for supper.

Another good day on the bike.

Gridironman.

1 comment:

  1. You are very lucky to have your daughter living close by Bryce.
    Phil J

    ReplyDelete