Monday 4 May 2015

Alresford Groupetta Survivor

Alresford Groupetta News:

Another week of mixed fortunes. Here is the leader board:-

Cycmon once more topping the list, but he did have the advantage of time for three rides. Both he & PinkPal did well on Sunday with that very wet and windy weather to contend with. PinkPal rode 66 miles on the IOW Randonee Audax whilst Cycmon was taking part in a 45 mile veteran cycles ride. Well done both.
Not such a great week for Paddy, see more details below.

Saturday 2nd May 2015. The Groupetta had planned short ride to Petersfield for coffee. However things did not quite turn out as planned.
Paddy and I were all ready to go at 1.30 p.m. but there was no sign of Cycmon. A phone call to Cycmon was not answered so we presumed he was on his way. As he still had not arrived by 1.45 I checked my emails and discovered that an email had been sent about midday; unfortunately after my computer had been turned off. So Paddy and I set off for Petersfield as planned but our plans soon had to be revised as  Paddy had a problem with his back wheel and after just 3 miles we stopped to try and sort it. It turned out to be a badly fitted tyre which was causing a bumping. Paddy managed to fix it and we set off once more along the Petersfield Road. 
Paddy does a dance with White Van man.
However after about two more miles at the foot of Smugglers Lane after I had just taken this picture of him doing a waltz with a Yodel Van, Paddy told me he felt unwell. 

He decided to return home. I hope it was nothing serious and that he is now feeling better. 

I was determined to make the most of my couple of hours of respite and I continued up Smugglers Lane to Monkwood. Here a very bouncy greyhound wanted to play with me and nearly had me in trouble as he pranced alongside. However since time had already been lost due to the late start and the two involuntary stops I decided it was far too late to attempt to get to Petersfield. Instead I opted to do a loop through Alton and back home via Medstead. 


That Log!
I was able to maintain a good speed along the A32 through East Tisted and Farringdon. In Chawton I paused to examine the site of my tumble on January 17th. How could I not have seen that big log!

As I exited the village a couple decided to cross the road without looking and when I shouted "LOOK OUT" the woman looked at me as if I was the one who was at fault! 

I skirted Alton and was soon climbing Snode Hill, now much easier since the council resurfaced it.

Lots of bluebells out now. Here is my offering of a snap. I expect others will be posted soon on FB much better than mine!


Bluebells near Wivelrod.
After checking with my relief carer that I still had time, I popped into Owen's Bike Shop for a chat with Owen and to sort out a problem I've had with a light I had bought there. 



Near Lyeway as I rounded a corner a large brown hare crossed the road a few yards in front of me. Shortly afterwards I saw this pretty patch of white flowers, what are they? Possibly a brassica?


From here it was all more or less downhill. 


I eventually arrived home about 4.30 with a total elapsed time from 1.45 p.m. of 2 hours 45 mins. Riding time of about 2 hours 10 mins. (Garmin  record adjusted to add 1.5 miles and 8 minutes ridden without it recording)
It had in the end been a very good training ride and I felt very pleased. Thanks to my daughter Sarah for giving me the chance to get out on my Posh bike.




Gridironman.


No comments:

Post a Comment