Wednesday 25 April 2018

My First Camper/Cycle tour of England and Wales.

After nearly a year from the purchase of my Camper Car, Dobbin, I have been able to do what I originally intended; use Dobbin to access other parts of the country for my cycle rides.

I was away for 8 days and 7 nights. In all I drove 550 miles and rode another 107.4. I had 5 rides in all as follows:

1. From the Caravan & Motorhome Camp Site near Carsington Water to the Knockerdown Inn.
2, Two Circuits of Carsington Lake, one on the mountain bike cycle path, one on the roads.
3. From Ripponden a circuit via Sowerby Bridge and near to Hebden Bridge over the hill back to Ripponden.
4. A circuit of Great Orme in North Wales.
5. A beach side and hilly ride from Rhos on Sea to Prestatyn and back.

The detailed maps and data are below with brief descriptions of the rides.

It was a great week, I only slept in Dobbin for two nights. I stayed with my cousin Ann for 3 nights and with my M2M chum Michael for 2. However it was a good test of using Dobbin and I learnt a lot about how best to organise myself in such a small space. I slept well which was the main thing and only had to use my heater for a short time.

The weather was pretty varied with cold cloudy weather a lot of the time and one very hot day of about 25 deg C. There was some brilliant sunshine too on the colder days at times.

The countryside changed a lot in the week and by Sunday Michael and I were able to identify the following flowers:

Bluebells, cow parsley, alexanders (very prolific near the sea), wood anemone, stitchwort, a few late daffodils, dogs mercury, jack by the hedge (also known as garlic mustard), Jack in the pulpit, early spotted orchid, dandelions, cowslips, primroses, herb robert, honesty, violets, celandines, green alkanet, daisies, buttercups and even some mahonia, (no doubt an escapee). I have probably forgotten some others!

The trees greened up nicely too and some of the woodlands had many shades of green and with white flowers of blackthorn adding to the mix.


1. From the Caravan & Motorhome Camp Site near Carsington Water to the Knockerdown Inn.


2, Two Circuits of Carsington Lake, one on the mountain bike cycle path, one on the roads.



3. From Ripponden a circuit via Sowerby Bridge and near to Hebden Bridge over the hill back to Ripponden.



4. A circuit of Great Orme in North Wales.



5. A beach side and hilly ride from Rhos on Sea to Prestatyn and back.









A most enjoyable week in all with friends and family who all treated me right royally. Thanks Ann, Ron, Michael, June and many other nameless passers by.

Now I have to settle and relax as I have just had a small operation and have been advised to take it easy for a week or so.

Gridironman.


No comments:

Post a Comment