Sunday 6 November 2016

Fine start to November.

Thursday 3rd November 2016.
HCMF Meet at the King's Head Crawley.


A lovely day for a ride, but a bit chilly. I have just bought a new gilet and wore it for the first time. I was very pleased with it. Made me feel better dressed for the cold day.

Following my knee problems I set of with some trepidation. When I got to Ovington I was going so well that I chose to take the long route over Gander Down to Owslebury and then through Colden Common and Otterbourne to get to the pub. This turned out to be a good decision as I had no problems.
In Colden Common as I approached the SLR sign it flashed up 31 mph! Phew I thought I was only doing about 16 mph.  Then I realised it must have picked up the car some 100 yards behind me.
At the pub I discovered the regulars and a couple of others. I was not really hungry but I stayed long enough for a pint and to photograph Bob's lovely 1896  front wheel drive cycle before setting off to enjoy the afternoon.

Bob's immaculate Cycle.
The distant view of the monument.
 I started off to go to Sparsholt, but when I got to Standon I changed my mind and climbed the hill to Farley Mount instead. As I reached the top of the hill I spotted the famous monument in the distance and decided to go and take a closer look.

The Inscription.



From the car park I walked most of the path to avoid the possibility of getting a flint or bramble puncture.
My efforts were rewarded as the views both of the monument and the surrounding countryside made it well worth while.
The Monument.


Countryside views.

I sat for a while just enjoying the warm sunshine before setting off for home. I passed several vineyards, the grapes seem to have been harvested by now. I was glad I chose to go via Ashley and Up Somborne for just north of the latter I was caught by my friend Steve who had been out for a solo ride too. We rode together to Three Maids Hill where we went our separate ways.

I was home about 3.30 p.m. well before it started to get dark. A most enjoyable day out without any problems with the knee!


Summary of the day with map and data. 
I was pleasantly surprised to find that despite my gentle pace walking to the monument my average moving speed was still 11.6 mph.

Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th November 2016.


Spindleberries against
the blue sky.
More spindleberries.
Old man's beard on a field maple.
Lots of different species.
Too busy with parties and walking with my daughter to get out on one of my bikes, but did get to admire the lovely coloured berries and beautiful shapes in the hedgerows. here are some of the pictures I took. 

The tallest Field Maple that
 I've seen in a long time.
We also got to see a lot of small fish in the river. Trout or Grayling? I'm not sure which.


Haws.


Click on one to enlarge them to full screen and enjoy.








Gridironman.






No comments:

Post a Comment