Sunday 2 October 2016

A damp start to the week, a cooler and sunny end to it.

Tuesday 27th September 2016.


We enjoyed an early coffee at our start point, Poppies, while waiting for the rain to abate. All who had opted to join the ride had turned up despite the forecast for light rain. By 10.35 we decided it was time to get going even though it had not stopped completely. 
Our leader had chosen an interesting route into Wiltshire including a number of roads I'd never ridden before. Some I had ridden when staying at the Youth Hostel in Salisbury a few years ago. The rain was mainly more of a drizzle than real rain, but there were some heavier periods and the roads were wet and in a couple of places very slippery. I had a little scare on the descent into one village where I had to brake as the hill was 14% and I had a small skid. In another place mist and smoke from a bonfire drifting across the road was so dense that we came to a complete stop before groping our way forward in the company of a car.
We passed close to Old Sarum and in the fields below the ramparts we spotted three deer standing in a large field of stubble. They watched us as we rode by. 

We had lunch at the Bridge Inn in Upper Woodford leaving our bikes in the garden area on the other side of the road under a gazebo. Most of the group chose soup, but I had whitebait which was very good and although it was a "starter" it was almost too much for me.
The sun came out while we were in the pub and so most of the roads were dry for our return journey which was via High Cross, Porton Down and Winterslow. I managed to ride all of the hills and even led the group for some of the time having to wait over 3 minutes at the A30 traffic lights to let the sluggards catch up. (Maybe someone had a problem, how else would I be that far ahead?)
However I was a minute behind PP on that climb to Winterslow.
A few more spots of rain as we rode the last miles but not enough to spoil what had been a good day out despite the inclement weather. 
We rewarded ourselves with tea & cakes at Poppies before PP drove me home feeling very happy. Slept well last night not waking properly until nearly 9 o'clock this morning.




Thursday 29th September 2016.

A gentle solo ride on Sporty. I thought it was time I rode a bike fit for the wet conditions with mudguards and a rack bag big enough to stow a waterproof jacket. 

Do you know where this is?
As the direct route was short I decided when I got to Ovington to carry on up the hill over Gander Down to Owslebury. I was lucky at the A31 to be able to cross without stopping. The roads were still very wet after the early morning rain so I was glad I had chosen Sporty.


The sun came out as I neared Owslebury and by the time I got to Otterbourne the roads were drying nicely.
I had not been to IBM clubroom until last Friday and now I have been there twice! It was busy with a lot of IBM employees as well as our group.

View from Long Walk.
For my return route home I meandered my way through the city, climbing Quarry Road to join the Alresford Road. Made it easily without needing the lowest gear. Top marks Sporty. Nice views of the countryside and clouds from the Long Walk above Easton.


Late roses at Ovington Mill.

It was such a lovely afternoon that I stopped a number of times to enjoy the sunshine and the views. 


My Birthday Ride 2015
Of course I couldn't resist taking my favourite route over the footbridge by the ford to complete my day. 

Sunday 2nd October 2016.




Fancy Shapes!

More Flowers.

Old Winchester Hill.






Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment