Sunday 6 July 2014

Birthday Fun Continues.

Thursday 3rd July.

Rode with John Heath and Guy Morgan to the HCMF meet at The Star, Bentworth. I led them a nice hilly route I'd ridden with Pink Pal in October 2008 when she was training for her Women for Women charity ride in Cuba. This time my return route from the meet was some 3 miles shorter as it was through Upper Wield and down Armsworth hill rather than through Medstead and Four Marks.

Near Burkham we spotted a skylark, no danger looking up as he was just descending on the other side of the hedge.

The weather was perfect for riding apart from a brisk breeze, though that did keep it cool enough for us to sit outside the pub in the sunshine.

The Riders and Supporters enjoying their lunch.
(Note the bunting and flags - in our honour?)
It was Guy's first ride to join an HCMF meet and he took to it like a duck to water, being an ideal riding companion and joining in the craic with the other members.

Guy and I left the group and headed home soon after 1 o'clock and enjoyed the fast descent of Armsworth Hill.

Here are details of our ride with a map:

Mr. Grumps?
The most exciting part of the day was still to come, my birthday party hosted by Simon and Sarah for my best cycling pals.  For me it was a very memorable evening. Caroline came to pick me up and we arrived almost as my other pals also arrived. We sat in the garden for drinks before enjoying a very tasty buffet. Very many thanks to Simon & Sarah for hosting the party and to my friends who made it an evening of fun. Ian had provided me with a party hat and I had worn my new KOM jersey and my Octogenarians medal given to me by Pinkpal.
Why then am I looking so pensive? Is it because half of my cake has already been eaten?







The remains of my cake.


I must admit that I did get a bit tiddly but Ian kindly drove me home so i came to no harm.
Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th July 2014.
My birthday excitements continued. I was given a new bicyle for my birthday. I had to go on Saturday to collect it from the bike shop. (Good news for Simon, I can easily get it into the back of my car as it has no mudguards rack etc and has lower bars. This means Simon's bike can go on the roof rack when we ride away together).

"Posh" my new Specialized Secteur Sport
(A posh bike not a push bike)

Once I got it home I took it out for a first ride as soon as the roads had dried out. Just 6 miles to and from the A31 roundabout near Ropley. It went beautifully.

Today (Sunday) I took it out for a proper ride of about 24 miles:-


Apart from one of Simon's vintage bikes I had not ridden a bike with drops for years and had not used the type of shifters fitted before. I managed to get on well with the gears which are only slightly higher than those on Sporty. Posh is about 5 pounds lighter and is more streamlined due to the lack of mudguards etc.so it is definitely faster.

Near Medstead I encountered Ron Liptrot out on an a morning ride too. We had a chat and he told me that he had also been lucky enough to have a similar 80th birthday gift a few years ago. 

It was a very satisfactory trial ride with only a mysterious rattle to spoil the total satisfaction. As I pulled up back home Paddy was also returning from a ride. We exchanged notes and Paddy suggested it was probably the wheel fitted reflector that was causing the noise. Will check it out.

WHEW WHAT A FANTASTIC WEEK!

Gridironman.



No comments:

Post a Comment