Sunday 27 July 2014

A Road Ride with Posh and an Off Road Excursion with Tiny and the Winchester CTC.

Two very contrasting rides this week. On Thursday I found myself able to join the HCMF meet at the Golf Club in Ampfield having previously thought I was otherwise engaged. Got my dates mixed up!

Of course I didn't want to take the shortest route as that is on main roads, I did however take the recently resurfaced B3047 through Itchen Abbass. I am pleased to report that the very worst part through the village and Martyr Worthy is now lovely smooth tarmac. The adjoining areas, whilst not perfect, are better than before having been regravelled.

The Hospital of St. Cross,
 nestling amongst the trees.
I rode the very good path to the Hockley junction stopping to enjoy the views across the valley to the Hospital of St. Cross.

I continued through Twyford and Colden Common and then crossed the river to Otterbourne, thus avoiding the climb of Shawford Down.

Next I took the road through Hiltingbury and looped round past North Baddesley Church past Gosport Farm to Ampfield. It was very hot and I found a number of riders already at the RV sitting in the only shady spot on the veranda in front of the Clubhouse. There was a small sunshade nearby so I commandeered that and shared it with David and Richard who had come all the way from Tadley. Certainly the longest route to the GC.

I met a number of members I'd not seen for a while and exchanged news and after a most enjoyable hour of chat and a cold beer I set off for home. I switched on my Garmin unit but for some reason it could not acquire a signal so I lost the first 1.5 miles or so of my homeward route.

My route home was back through Colden Common and via Hensting Lane to Owslebury. It was warm work climbing that hill but at least it was in the shade. Ridewith GPS give the gradient of the hill as 9% but the sign at the top gives it as 14%. I suspect the RidewithGPS is the average for the hill whereas the sign indicates the steepest part. Any comments?

The last few miles after climbing to the top of Lane End Down were very fast, down the A272 to Cheriton and through Tichborne.

Another very good day out on "Posh".
My route as recorded on RidewithGPS


Saturday 26th July 2014.
I decided to join the afternoon ride with the Winchester CTC led by the two Johns, Spiers & Fairbrother. They had plotted a gentle ride with a good section of tracks and paths so I took Tiny my 7 year old hybrid bike.

I had ridden in from Alresford with Guy. Also in attendance were Paul and Margaret, Lynne, Rodney, and new to me James, David & Will, Helen, Alan and splendid in pink Julie who was designated our "tail end charlie" as she was so easily spotted! (I hope I have got the names right, please tell me if I haven't).

Our route was a devious one to Crawley via Bereweeke Avenue and Dean lane before cutting back to cross the Stockbridge road to Littleton. Then on to Crawley where we went off road. This section of the route was the most interesting, mainly through woods which with the very warm day gave most welcome shade. It was very quiet and peaceful and with no traffic to contend with it was a pleasure.

Disused railway bridge between King's Worthy and South Wonston.
When we reached the A272 we took an path parallel with the road in the roadside woodland. The track was a lovely sinuous track. great fun! then we crossed it and continued through the woods to South Wonston. Some bumpy track along the south side of the village and then another shady ride along the old railway line. We passed the old railway station where the road splits in two . Three of us managed to choose the option which was blocked by a fallen tree. I climbed over the old platform whilst Rodney and Julie went back to the junction.

Just after the end of the track Will had a flat tyre. A couple of other riders stopped to help whilst the rest of us went on to the Goodlife for tea. We were soon joined by them and we all enjoyed a good chat. It was great to talk to some folk I'd not met before, most of it of course about cycling.

Guy joined me for a return to Alresford.

Here is my record of the day. Of the 25 miles ridden 12 were with the group, about 6 off road.



With Posh for dry days and Sporty for more inclement weather I now think I will sell Tiny. If anyone is interested I would be open to any reasonable offer in the neighbourhood of £85.

Here are further details:

Giant Cypress DX 2007.Medium size (about 52cm ?) Alivio gears. 42,34,24 chainring with 11 to 32 cassette. Cassette and chainrings have been renewed and tyres in good condition.

Tiny my Giant, Cypress, DX


That's all folks! Have a good week, cycling if that is your way!


Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment