Sunday 20 July 2014

Four Rides this Week!

It an unusual week cycling in which I enjoyed 4 rides. The first three were all in the immediate area of Alresford so I have recorded the three routes on one map.




Wednesday 16th July.

I had an appointment at Naomi House on Wednesday so rather than go by car I went by bike. I knew the council were resurfacing the road through Itchen Abbass so needed to find an alternative route. I chose to go through Northington and Micheldever to test myself and Posh up the hill through the village. We managed it with only one small mistake in changing gear. After my meeting I returned home via the South side of the Itchen river.

Thursday 17th July. Simon and I were back together again for a good social ride to the HCMF meet at the Northbrook Arms, East Stratton. As the pub is only about 6 miles from home we naturally found a nice hilly optional way to get there. I forgot to start my Garmin until we were about 1.6 miles into the journey.

We climbed the ridge to Medstead before turning back towards East Stratton. The weather was beautiful and we were able to enjoy the views of the countryside before dropping from Upper Wield into the Candover Valley at Preston Candover. In Brown Candover we took a right turn up the steepest hill of the day and along the narrow lane to Woodmancott.

As we climbed this ridge we were buzzed several times by a Chinook helicopter, it passed over at a height of about 100 feet. Simon thought they were treating us as terrorists. Of course by the time I had stopped and got out my camera out it had decided to fly away and leave us alone.


Simon and the now distant Chinook.

As you can see there was a lot of loose gravel along the lane and we had to be careful, especially on the descents and corners. However we made good time to the meet arriving there just after noon.

A couple of riders already enjoying sitting on the green opposite the pub with a cooling drink. We were soon joined by many more. A few decided to stay in the shade inside whilst the rest of us made good use of the many sun shades at the bench table units.

There was a fair amount of banter, as always, with some fun about my new "Posh" and a round of applause when the Fleet CTC members arrived resplendent in their new strip.

Simon and I eventually managed to tear ourselves away as we both had other matters to attend to in the afternoon. 

On Saturday 19th being unable to join Ian and the Winchester CTC due to other matters I managed to get out for a "pop to the pub ride" in the evening. My choice of pub being the "Pub with No Name", a reasonable distance from home.

It was very warm but  at least it was cooler than earlier in the day.

After following the obvious route through Bishops Sutton and Ropley I turned off the Petersfield Road and climbed the ridge via Smugglers' Lane then after Monkwood I rejoined the Petersfield Road.
The pub was very busy with folk from all around and with campers from the field next door all enjoying their evening meals and drinks in the warm sunshine

I enjoyed a half pint of Butcombe Bitter from North Somerset before heading home via Privett, Woodlands and Bramdean Common.

The cream of the  batch was today Sunday 20th July when I drove to Romsey in the car and followed a course recorded by PinkPal last August. It was a joy to follow taking me along some lanes I'd not ridden before. It also involved some steep hills, for example the 9% climb from Nomansland.

West Wellow Church.
Near St. Margaret's Church I passed a group of cyclists going in the opposite direction and was greeted by name by my friend Graham Stanhope who was in the group. (Don't know if I knew anyone else.)

I have heard that the Tombstone of Florence  Nightingale which was damaged in the February gales has now been repaired. I did not stop to verify this.

The sun had broken through by now and I took Posh for his first dip through the ford near Plaitford.
(Took care not to go too fast so the lack of mudguards did not matter.)

Once up Nomansland Hill I thought I would be able to speed across the open ground near Fritham where there was a wartime airfield. No such luck, there was a strong head wind!

Once past the A31 I stopped to look at the Memorial to the Canadian Soldiers who landed on the beaches of Normandy on D-day and took the opportunity to talk to a couple of off roaders and a family who were looking at the memorial.

The Canadian Memorial.
Next came a fast downhill run through the leafy part of the forest.  Great fun as it is quite curvy too. In Emery Down, near Lyndhurst the route turned back northwards and continued through Minstead along a network of unfamiliar lanes.
It then crossed the Cadnam to Lyndhurst road and passed through Bartley and Winsor. Not far to go now but sneaky PP had chucked in a climb up Ridge Lane, across the dual carriage way and up Gardeners Land before zooming back into Romsey down Pauncefoot Hill.. (At least she hadn't taken the rough track across Broadlands.

It had been a great ride which I had followed easily on my Garmin with only two minor overshoots of junctions. Strangely my recorded route was about 1.5 miles shorter than PP's. I wonder why?

Just discovered why my Garmin record is 1.5 miles shorter than PP's. It seems that my Garmin was switched off for about that distance near Fritham.

Here is my record of the day:


Very many thanks to PP for recording the route which was great. Also thanks to Simon for his company on Thursday,

GRIDIRONMAN.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment