Monday 14 July 2014

Posh Gets Sorted.

A number of other commitments made this last week an unusual one for my cycling.
On Wednesday 9th July after a busy domestic day I managed to pop out for a short ride in the evening. I was still trying to identify the source of the rattle. Removed the front reflector from the handlebars and the one mounted on the wheel but still the rattle was there. Never mind, I told myself, just enjoy the lovely sunny evening. I started out on one of my favourite climbs, Gander Down, at the top on the A272 the police were checking car speeds.

After a short way on the A272 I took the road eastwards past Lane End and the Milbury's to the top of Wheeley Down. Next down the hill into Kilmeston where I paused a while to enjoy an energy bar sitting on the seat by the village hall. It was a perfect evening. Warm and sunny but not too hot.

I checked the bike again but still could not identify the cause of the rattle.

I managed to ignore the siren calls of the Flower Pots in Cheriton and the Tichborne Arms and was home just as I was needed to pop to the shops for milk.

Getting used to the new gears and riding position now, but still grabbing for the brakes in the wrong place when riding on the tops of the bars!

It was a great way to spend a couple of hours, though I had rather tempted fate by leaving my pump on Sporty!

Wednesday's Route and Data.

On Thursday I took Posh back to Hargroves to see if they could identify and fix the rattle. I am pleased to say that they did. It turned out to be the rear brake cable which is routed through the top tube knocking on the inside of the frame. Thursday evening I had an enjoyable non cycling experience when I went to The Point in Eastleigh to see and listen to Rock Choir in which two of my friends were participating. It was a great show.

I was unable to ride on Saturday as I was busy cleaning carpets with the help of my grandson Archie.
It was the perfect weather for the job as it dried in a few hours.

Sunday 13th July 2014.
Time to get out and make the most of the sunshine. I had delayed my start as it had rained and of course I did not want Posh to get wet!

As is often the case when I ride alone, I make up the route as I go along. Decided to go South and try myself on Posh up Rooksgrove hill from Kilmeston. I knocked over a minute of my best previous time that I had set a year ago. (I now rank at 30 instead of 58 out of 78). 

Once at the top of Beacon Hill I decided to go down to Droxford and cross the A32 and then climb Watton Lane, the steepest hill of the day, and then up the flank of Old Winchester Hill to the Sustainability Centre. Luckily I arrived there just 10 mins before the cafe closed, so was able to enjoy a cup of tea and have a stroll round the herb garden with its scents. It seems to be in need of some TLC being somewhat overgrown.
My route home was via East and West Meon, into the teeth of the strong breeze. Hmm so that's why I'd found the outward journey easier than expected.

Quite a number of other cyclists about at various points of my ride, a lot of them off roaders.

I was pleased with Posh, I must admit to worrying I'd made the right choice of bike at first, but this ride has convinced me that I have. The gears have a great range and I'm riding on the 50 ring more than I do on the 48 of Sporty. The bottom gear of 26 being only a little higher than the 24 of Sporty so hill climbing with the lighter bike very much the same.

When I got home Jean asked me how it went and I told her that it had been "Such Fun"! Should have bought this bike 6 years ago!

I am planning a few days hosteling at the start of August. My dilemma, do I take Sporty or Posh.?
(Suggestions welcome).

Just realised, I was so busy riding I forgot to take any pictures. Sorry!


Sunday's Route and Data


Gridironman.


I

No comments:

Post a Comment