Sunday 3 August 2014

HCMF Meet at The Cricketers, Easton and Another Fast Training Ride

Thursday 31st July 2014
Another lovely summer's day, too good to miss a chance to join the HCMF meet at Easton. Bit close to home for a decent direct ride there so found an alternative route, then came home the short way.

Near West Stratton I caught up with a tractor trimming the hedge, he pulled in to let me by. Fortunately he was not spreading the cuttings all over the road.

I found the A30 to be very quiet so instead of turning down the lane to Hunton where there appeared to be fresh gravelling  I continued on towards Sutton Scotney and took the turn to Wonston. I noticed that most of the  trees which had  fallen earlier in the year across the river Dever had be removed and I could see large piles of logs in the field beyond.


In Stoke charity I stopped and chatted with two cyclists from Kings Worthy. Then I continued along the "road we love to hate" to KW. It certainly seemed easier on Posh, so maybe it's not so bad after all. 

It was just a touch cooler than it has been of late round about 20 deg C.so it was good to sit outside the pub and soak up the rays. A good crowd there including Richard and David from Tadley and about 8 riders from the Fleet CTC most of them resplendent in their new strip.The usual regulars from  Southampton, Winchester and Chandler's Ford were also there.

After a chat and a cool drink  I rode directly home for a late lunch.
Map and details for the day.
Saturday 2nd August 2014.

I had hoped to join Barrie's ride with the Winchester CTC but fortunately other commitments conspired to thwart that and so I did not get wet riding to Winchester as the rain came in just as I would have been on my way. It rained several more times during the morning and a cloud burst around lunch time. I hope Barrie & co were not caught in it.

Then the  sun came out and by 3.30 p.m. the roads were dry and i was free to ride once more so I set out on a training ride with Posh. I have really enjoyed this kind of ride on my new bike and this was another good one. I headed East through Ropley, past the burnt out church and up the steep hill to Lyeway. (One of two at 9%.)

I joined the A32 just South of East Tisted and made good time into Alton with the breeze behind me. The town centre there was busy and I had a short walk through the pedestrian area before turning for home.

My return route was higher than my outward one climbing the second steep hill through Beech. This is easier than it was having been re-tarmaced. However there are still a number of drain covers to avoid especially when descending. This climb is much longer than the Ropley one and so was a tad harder.

Data for Saturday 2nd Aug.
In Medstead I paused awhile to watch the cricket. Timely as one player was applauded, I think he had just scored 50, he was then out caught next ball! I continued along the ridge through Hattingley and just before I reached the top of Armsworth Hill my phone rang. It was only a family call so it did not delay me for long.




When I arrived home and downloaded my Garmin data i was pleased to see that even my .elapsed time for the 25.6 miles was under two hours. It was a very satisfying ride and great fun.






Map and profile of the route. Note the interesting  Gradient  line.






My split time for the outward and homeward leg show what how the strong breeze and hilly nature of the route affect speed.






I am off to Dorset tomorrow to spend 3 days cycling there. I am staying for two nights at Litton Cheyney Youth Hostel. I am a little apprehensive about the weather forecast which is not good for Tuesday and Wednesday, but hey ho must make the most of it like those riders in Glasgow today. Well done Lizzie, Emma, Geraint and Scott for their performances in the road races.

Sorry! No photos again too busy zipping along!

The next few days I will be riding at a more sedate pace on Sporty, enjoying the lovely Dorset countryside so hopefully there will be some photos to share next time.

All the best, whether cycling or not.

GRIDIRONMAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment