Sunday 29 September 2019

Some days wet some days wetter!



Some good rides despite the unsettled weather. At least getting wet was not too uncomfortable as it was quite warm. 

On Tuesday most of the Pedallers were playing away abroad, so with the rain coming in the morning, I went out on my own after lunch.

On my way home on Thursday from the HCMF meet I came the scenic route along the south side of the River Itchen riding past Avington House. I was reminded that is where some 29 years ago we celebrated the wedding of Sarah and Steve.

Avington House.
A special place for our family.








Fields greening up 
again after the harvest. 




































Just after I had descended from Farley Mount I had the pleasure of watching a bird of prey for several minutes. I believe it was either a Merlin or Hobby. It flew fast and quite low overhead and then across the fields before it circled around a group of trees flying low over the branches. It then came back passing just ahead of me before disappearing behind the hedges. It was a lovely experience.

I used the e-power for most of the ride to see how much it used. The answer: 40 miles completed before 50% was used. I was pleased with that.

On Saturday I decided to go for a ride having no clear idea of where I was going but decided to head East.  When I got to Alton I followed a group of cyclists to Holybourne. A lot of them were wearing Jerseys with WHV on the back. When they stopped at the White Hart Pub I decided that they must be the White Hart Velos. I Can't find any reference to them on Google. 

Near Wyke, I passed another cyclist who may have been a friend but it is always hard to recognize other riders when they flash by unexpectedly.

I had lunch in the very smart cafe at Gilbert White's. I was a little disappointed by the food and the service was very slow considering they were not very busy. I wish I'd gone to the little Tea Shop just along the street.








In the week I managed another ton and my weekly average is now hovering just below a weekly average of 100 at 98.9. I am actually targeting 4,500, rather than 5,200, which I think is more achievable with the winter weather likely to intervene.



Gridironman















No comments:

Post a Comment