Sunday 11 February 2018

Up Hill Down Dale!

Sadly I am beginning to find most rides are getting much harder than they were even a short time ago. I have had two good rides this week but I did find both of them tired me out quite a lot even though they were not that long. They did however contain some "nice little hills". 
Dobbin
Of course even a year ago  I was planning on using a camper van to take me to other places so I can enjoy shorter rides. I now have Dobbin and I have fitted a bike rack and curtains and I am going to the Caravan Show at the NEC in Birmingham soon to see what else I can pick up to make myself comfortable. So this blog will I hope become about both motor car touring/camping with bike rides.
Watch this space.

Tuesday 6th February 2018.


A ride with the Pedallers.








It was a small group of us braving the cold weather, but we were all well wrapped up and soon got warm riding. Dave had chosen a hilly route to pop over the border into Surrey. There were some pretty nasty pot holes in places and several places where they were very muddy. We found a nice café to have a nice snack, I had croque monsieur. Not had that for ages, it was very tasty.
The hills on our return to Old Basing were much easier and I even led the group at times! 
Thanks Dave for leading us. 


Thursday 8th February 2018.



The other Groupetta members being otherwise occupied I rode on my own to the HCMF meet at the Farmer's Home, Durley. I chose to go via Gander Down as I'd not been for a while. The snowdrops are at their best by the side of the river in Ovington now. A bird of prey was chasing the small birds over my head as I climbed the hill. Not sure which one it was as it all happened so quickly. Possibly a Merlin? It didn't succeed in catching one.  I had been late starting as I had been for a check up at the dentist, but I still was at the pub by 1:45 p.m. I believe we were 14 in total. A nice number as it gives one the opportunity to chat to nearly everyone. I had an excellent lunch before setting off home. The wind was behind me down the hill into Beauworth and I clocked over 36 mph freewheeling from the Milbury's, but was still unable to beat my record freewheel through the village. It drizzled a bit as I rode into Cheriton and the road was extremely muddy. A van driver stopped me to tell me to take care as it was very slippery and another cyclist had taken a tumble. By the time I got home the rain had stopped and the roads were dry.


Friday 9th February.


A meeting of cycle friends for dinner hosted by Kathy and Kevin. A lovely evening of good food and good company. Thanks guys!

Sunday 11th February.

The gang on the bridge at Chilland.
Ten of us met at Ovington park for a short walk to Chilland. We found the path across the fields to Easton far too slippery with deep mud so eight of us cut our walk short and drove to the Golden Lion, Winnall, Winchester where we were joined by Alan for a most enjoyable roast lunch. 

Chris with friend.

At Lunch.
Caroline the Project manager telling me what to do while Ken, who has heard it all before, looks on.

Gridironman.



No comments:

Post a Comment