Monday 19 February 2018

Too busy walking!

Just got back from a few days of dog minding and walking, that combined with the wet and windy weather on Tuesday meant I only had one ride last week. Still it was a very enjoyable one despite getting caught in the only 15 minute shower of the day! Here are the details:

Thursday 15th February 2018.



I managed to persuade Cycmon to join me. I t was a nice morning with sunshine but although a little warmer than of late it was still quite chilly. I had decided to go the hilliest way and come back an easier one. The climb along Chilbolton Avenue is a steady one so I gained height without too much puffing and panting. The next four miles are either up or down. That is the shark's teeth between four and five hundred feet. Some of these little pitches are quite steep and I had to keep zipping up and down the gears. When we neared the top of Farley Mount we could see the Memorial Stone shining brightly in the sun. We spotted a couple of riders about two hundred yards ahead but despite my best efforts we couldn't close the gap. The road was surprisingly wet in places where the large puddles hadn't had time to dry out. I heard my first skylark of the year as we neared Ashley.
WE were soon through kings Somborne and at the pub where we arrived at the same time as half a dozen others who had all ridden there separately. What timing!   
Of course the disadvantage of this is that unless one is swift it means queueing at the bar to order food and drink. 
In all there were around 20 of us, mainly the regulars but being this far south and west no one from North Hampshire or beyond apart from Paul who had come from Andover via the Woodford Valley.
We enjoyed lunch and the craic so much that it was nearing 2 o'clock by the time we set off for home. The wind was with us so that was good, at first, but then as we neared Crawley it clouded over and it started to hail. Unfortunately as we were going with the wind it lasted longer than it might have otherwise. It turned to rain as we were near Headbourne Worthy and by the time we got to Itchen Abbass the sun was out again so I accompanied Cycmon over the ford to Farewell Corner.
When I got home I found that my winter jacket had kept me almost dry but my feet were a bit damp and muddy.
Thanks Cycmon for keeping me company on the ride and for all the others who had made it such a social day too.

Will not be riding on Tuesday or Wednesday as I am visiting friends in Sutton Coldfield.

Gridironman.
 














No comments:

Post a Comment