Sunday 7 January 2018

Welcome to 2018!



I had planned to ride on Tuesday 2nd but wimped out as I didn't fancy getting wet. Then on Wednesday the winds were so strong I opted not to ride again. I have always been wary of strong winds since when coming home from The Avenue G.C. a few years ago I had a narrow escape in Lasham Village when a dustbin lid flew over my head. I took shelter under a hedge watching branches being hurled to the ground from a nearby oak tree. (I had chosen NOT to shelter under it). When the wind had abated after about 20 minutes I continued home having to circumnavigate no fewer than 6 fallen trees on my way.

My original report with pictures can be seen here: 




I had other matters to attend to on Thursday but I did manage to join the HCMF meet at the Coach & Horses in Sutton Scotney by camper van. A good number there considering there were still very strong winds.



I did at last manage to get out on my bike on Friday. The first time I had ridden with the Winchester CTC on a Friday.

Friday 5th January.
To The Hawk Conservancy




It was a very good day for me despite the hiccups! It was most enjoyable to see many of my cycling friends I'd not seen for sometime and have a chance of a chat. 


Saturday 6th January.Another ride with the Winchester CTC.

Many of the same riders as yesterday. This time I only did a modest 21 miles with them after meeting them at the Swan in Alresford. Bob took us a most interesting way to Bishops Sutton via New Farm Lane and Whitehill! We had an enforced stop on Bramdean Common to replace another punctured tube. Lunch at the pub was very good, I had one of the best fish and chips I'd ever had, not only was it quite large but it was very tasty. I only just managed to eat it all.


Today the Winchester CTC are running their Annual Watership Down Audax and for once i am neither taking part or helping as I am going to a special birthday party.

A good start to the year!

Gridironman

No comments:

Post a Comment