Sunday 28 January 2018

Combination of Groups.

This week was a mixture of sunny and wet days. Because Tuesday and Wednesday were both wet some of the Pedallers chose not to ride on Tuesday and the LOTSW  decided to cancel their ride on Wednesday. I was riding on Thursday to the HCMF meet at East Worldham so I suggested that they should join me, meeting at my place for coffee at 10 o'clock. I also invited anyone from the Alresford Groupetta to join too. In the end Alex was unable to come because of a problem with his car and I was joined by David & Ian from LOTSW, Andrew from the Groupetta and Alan, who is a member of both The Pedallers and LOTSW, rode directly to the pub.


Thursday 25th January 2018.

The forecast was for the day to be mainly dry with a fair amount of sunshine but with the chance of a short rainy spell between 1 and 2 p.m. The forecast was spot on. (With the crafty use of the rain radar app on Andrew's phone we were able to avoid leaving the pub at the wrong time.)

I had planned the route using a new app I discovered recently which you can view here:


You might like to compare it with our actual ride which was basically the same with two variations to avoid one steep hill in the shade by climbing through Theddon and Wivelrod instead of Beech and to avoid the very mucky lane from Medstead to Bighton.

The plan worked very well. Alan duly joined us at the Three Horseshoes along with about 16 other riders including Bob from Chandlers Ford, Roger from Hartley Wintney, 6 from Fleet CTC, Don and Steve (Winchester CTC) and Nora from Alton who came by taxi to join us.

The food was fine, I had a ham omelette with chips and salad for a reasonable price. Andrew kindly bought me a coffee to while away our time while we admired the rainbow through the window.

I was glad we had waited for when we got going the roads were flooded in many places from the heavy showers.

It was a very good day out and I was pleased that some of the others had enjoyed being lead along unfamiliar roads.
I had even managed to clock up a couple of PBs.


Sunday 28th January 2018.

Late up and didn't feel much like going out for a ride, but by the time I'd had my morning cuppa and some cereal I felt much better and got Posh out of the stable and saddled up. I decided not to push myself but be sensible and just pop to the pub. (Via Ropley and Privett?) Well I did need to work a little for my reward.
I tried to avoid the gravel and reduce the risk of a Hampshire flint doing its nasty work by sticking to the busier roads until I got to the A32. Time to turn back or at least to not go any further away.


Most of the minor roads were OK too but there was a huge puddle at the bottom of Brewers Lane. Not being sure how deep it was and what potholes lurked I got off and walked along the verge.



A rewarding visit to Privett Church. First time I'd been inside since I visited some years ago with my friend Don. I must go back another day when I am not so pressed for time to discover more.

By the time I got home I around 2.30 p.m. I was ready for my lunch, home cooked fish & chips with onion rings. 
Glad I made the effort.

Gridironman.











No comments:

Post a Comment