Sunday 12 February 2017

Two more chilly rides.

Thursday 9th February 2017.
Solo ride to HCMF meet at IBM Clubroom.

Weather rather chilly so I decided not to take too long a route to IBM. I could not persuade any of my Groupetta Pals to join me, but at least that meant I could go at my own pace. I avoided the B3047 by taking the lane through Ovington. When I got there I decided to continue up over Gander Down to cross the A272 and thence to Owslebury and Colden Common. I was a little cautious with Posh but the gears worked perfectly so that was not a problem. However I seemed to have picked up another odd sound when I brake. I paused twice to adjust my brake blocks but this made no difference. When I chatted to other riders at the club they were of the opinion that if there was nothing loose and the wheel was sound I should continue as normal to see if the noise got worse or better! I have examined both the brake and the wheel and can find no explanation. Any ideas?
Near Colden Common as I was riding from Fishers Pond towards the roundabout a car pulled out of a side turning right in front of me causing me to brake very hard to avoid hitting him. He drove off without a care in the world. I was being followed by a large lorry which had slowed waiting for a space to pass and I can only speculate that the motorist "DSM" and thought the truck was slowing to let him out.
Although it was a cold and grey day I was surprised that there were only 8 of us there to share the club with dozens of IBM employees.
I had a most enjoyable plate of fish and chips at a very reasonable price whilst chatting to the others. 
When I left the club I took the drive round to the Northern entrance to explore IBM's beautiful grounds. (Well looked after by Kevin, a friend of mine !)
Back to the centre of Hursley Village and then the most direct route home. 
I was mighty pleased to pop into a hot bath and enjoy a soak when I got in. I stayed in so long I could hardly stand when I got out!


Sunday 12th February 2017.The Groupetta ride to East Meon.

Skipped riding on Saturday as it seemed rather chilly and I wanted to watch the rugby. Don't think today was any warmer, the maximum shown on my garden thermometer was 2º C only 1º more than overnight. However three of the Groupetta planned a ride at 10 o'clock. Sadly Andrew was feeling a tad poorly so wimped out, a wise decision as both Cycmon and I found that 27 miles was enough on such a miserable day. There were plenty of other brave souls out there, we passed a number of small groups, some solo riders and two largish groups. One unlucky guy had picked up a "Hampshire Diamond" and was replacing his tube near Tichborne village. He told us he was fine. I was able to confirm from a local man who was chatting to him that the cows on the farm there are indeed Herefords as I had thought. We got as far as East Meon before we decided to return home. We discovered we could get a coffee in the village shop. There was even a couple of chairs and a table for us to sit at while we warmed up. We were back in Alresford by 1 o'clock, perfect timing for lunch and then another Six nations match to watch. Here is my summary report:


Hardly an earth shattering week, but I did manage over 94 miles Though Garmin/Strava show less as Garmin failed to pick up part of my Tuesday mileage. The "fit" file was "unfit" having somehow been corrupted. This is a rare event, but i have had it happen before. On one occasion Ride with GPS did open the file when Garmin couldn't. Something worth remembering.

Looking forward to some warmer days this coming week.

Gridironman.








No comments:

Post a Comment