Tuesday 7 February 2017

Gridironman Takes a Tumble!

Tuesday 7th February 2017.The Alresford Groupetta join the Winchester CTC day ride to Upham for lunch.

A lovely spring like day brought out 17 riders in all. Fourteen started from Winchester and 3 of us joined the ride on the lane to Tichborne near the ford. 
Things started to go wrong almost immediately when my front light fell off. I had obviously not secured it properly. I did not realise I had lost it but fortunately one of the others spotted it and rescued it for me. It appears to be quite OK.
The climb through Kilmeston spread out the group with yours truly helping to bring up the rear. From the ridge we quickly descended Wheeley Down to Warnford. 
As we climbed the hill, more problems, Eileen dropped her chain but Andrew W. always the gentleman stopped to help. This gave the rest of us a breather at the top of Old Winchester Hill. 
Our problems were not over, John punctured about a mile from the Sustainability centre. Knowing him to be very capable the rest of us continued and he soon joined us for coffee.
Andrew captured a picture of us Sustaining Ourselves.

Suitably sustained we returned along the ridge and descended to Droxford before climbing over the next ridge to Dundridge. The lane here was wet like it often is. A couple more hills to climb before reaching our next destination, The Brushmakers Arms, Upham. On the second of these wanting to keep up momentum I stood on the pedals with disastrous results, my chain broke and I came a cropper. Fortunately I fell onto the soft bank under the hedgerow and apart from being both a little shocked and winded I was OK. It wasn't until later that I discovered that my bike had also suffered some damage. The full extent to be checked tomorrow. (It is the first time that I have ever had such a mishap.)
Realising it was only about a mile to the pub I told the others to carry on and they did apart from Ian who stayed with me. I walked most of the way to the pub but was able to freewheel down one hill which made it quicker.
After lunch Andrew very kindly repaired my chain and got me mobile again. The group broke into a number of small segments from here with people dispersing homeward. Fortunately Andrew was still with me as I had some more problems with the chain coming off twice. We discovered the gear changing mech. for the chainwheels had been put out of alignment. Andrew made adjustments and I was able to ride home without further problems.
The left brake leaver has been pushed out of position by the force of my fall but continues to work OK.   

Out of position brake lever.
Andrew is going to replace the chain, re-position the brake lever and check the bike for me tomorrow. How good it is to have such capable friends. THANKS ANDREW!!

Finally just to make the day complete I had problems uploading part of the data of my Garmin Route to my computer, but here are the details.






Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment