Sunday 22 May 2016

Park2Park, An Audax run by Southampton CTC.

A great Audax, well run with zero problems following the route, though I was a bit worried near Tangley when the road resembled a farm track. I persisted along it and sure enough it was the correct way. Bob's little bit of fun turning us into Pseudo Off Roaders?
There were some testing hills from time to time and I did walk part of the one climbing from Hurstbourne Tarrant, but on the whole it was less hilly than I had imagined, or maybe I'm getting better at dealing with them.

Positively flew round the course with an average moving speed of 13.1 mph. Even the elapsed time gave a speed of about 11 mph. It was a perfect day except for about 6 miles from West Tytherley in a "scattered heavy slow moving shower" problem was it seemed to be moving at the same speed as us staying right over us. It had stopped before we got to Romsey where it was perfectly dry.

John Moon who is sharing the M2M with me in three week's time was also riding, though we each chose to go at our own pace so I only saw him from time to time. 

The Trowbridge Group enjoying the refreshments at The Tea Cosy..
I was quickly away at the start leaving my friend John and the Winchester Group behind, thinking they were in front. I mixed it for a short way with a group from Trowbridge. 


Then as I climbed the first tough climb to Mardon Castle I was passed by a lady riding a blue Roberts classic touring bike I did not see her for a while but after the first information point I spotted her in the distance and used her as a carrot to speed me along. I caught up with her at the junction of the A272 with the A30 and we rode together for the rest of the way to the Control Point in Hurstbourne Tarrant. While I was talking to John I suggested she might like to carry on, and she did. 

There was a good group of riders from Winchester CTC, but unfortunately one of them had an accident and had to retire. I was not with them when it happened so I do not know any details.

Just after the Wallops I managed to catch up with Hilary again and we rode the rest of the way together. When we paused for shelter in West Tytherley John passed us and we did not see him again until the finish.




Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment