Sunday 8 May 2016

A last minute ride to East Stratton

Sunday 8th May 2016.


I had to cry off from yesterday's planned ride with The Alresford Groupetta as I had a very sore throat and had been kept awake half the night with coughing.  I made good use of the time by changing the tyres on Posh ready for my June ride in France. Also had a sleep in the afternoon. last night I had a much better sleep so I was feeling more normal this morning. I decided as I put the wheels back in that it was time to clean the chain and give Posh a quick wash too. Cooked an early lunch and then set off for a short ride. 
This turned out very well. I discovered that the Hampshire Hilly Hundred was going past the end of my road, so I followed the riders on the shorter course along the Itchen Valley to Easton.
I turned northwards at Kings Worthy to Stoke Charity where I found I had intersected the longer route. As I rode towards Micheldever I was passed by 50 or so riders going the opposite way. Just before the A33 I saw the last one followed by the Broom Wagon.
In East Stratton as I was passing the pub I thought I saw a familiar face, this was confirmed by a shout of "BRYCE!" so I was right, it was my pal Laurence enjoying a drink with his wife in the sunshine. I joined them for a welcome pint of ale.

The Candover Valley from Totford Hill.









I was home soon after 4 having covered a modest 23+ miles.
It was a good test of my fitness, I had only minor problems with my throat, mostly fixed by that pint!


Gridiroman.


No comments:

Post a Comment