Saturday 9 January 2016

First Ride of 2016 - Checking the course for the Ear;y Spring 50 and a Ride to Jolly Olly's.

Tuesday 5th January 2016. Checking the Early Season 50 Course.


Good ride yesterday. 53 miles checking the route for Winchester CTC Early Season 50. Only a few spots of rain, but the roads were dreadful in places. In Ellisfield the road was completely covered to the depth of several inches with mud and large flints. Fortunately only for about 50 yards. I did manage to ride over it.


Two days later, most of the debris still there.
Did not do the course within the time allowed because I stopped for fish & chips with peas and a cuppa at the Avenue Garden Centre.

When I got home I set about amending the Instructions and the GPX file to send to Sue, so she has the latest information to send out nearer the date. (February 21st.) Here is my Map for the day including 3 extra miles getting to and from Itchen Stoke where I joined and left the route.



It was a most satisfying ride. Will I do it again on Feb21st? Who knows? At least my riding time was within the limits.

Thursday 7th Jan. 2016. A circuit to Jolly Olly's and Owens Cycles.

Despite the forecast of early rain I decided to join a few of my cycling pals for a ride. As I started from home, so did the rain. I popped into a bus shelter only 250 yards from home and waited for 5 minutes. The rain soon eased and I set off once more along the B3047 to Kingsworthy. As I rode Lovedon Lane I was passed by two other riders in their car, also on route for Stoke Charity. Two other pals were waiting there and after a brief discussion we headed towards Oakley with another heavy shower trying, unsuccessfully to dampen our spirits. Once past Micheldever Station we enjoyed better conditions. Though the roads were deep in water in many places and we were more in danger of getting wet from below than above.
After the obligatory C&C I rode back to North Waltham with the others before we parted company. Just after leaving Dummer I ploughed through the deepest & biggest puddle of the day. I had to keep pedalling to get through it and got my feet soaked.
The weather was improving now with the sun coming out and I decided to take a further loop before going home. I first checked on the debris field in Ellisfield and took some photos of it. It was not quite as bad as it had been on Tuesday, but still a significant hazard.
Next I turned towards Burkham where the sun was brightening up the countryside beautifully. I paused to say hello to some curious horses. See how sunny it was by then.

Horses near Burkham.

I needed some new brake blocks, the continuous wet weather has made a superb grinding paste to wear away both blocks and rims, so thought I'd get some replacements from Owens Cycles. 
Bought some other items too before heading for home and a late lunch at 4 p.m


Had just done enough miles to be a contender for the TUK medal. Total so far for the week 101 Miles.

Sunday 10th January.
Winchester CTC - The Watership Down Audax

I decided that I was not going to ride this event in 2016 but would go and help at the finish. I'm told they need my washing up expertise. 
I have however entered for another Audax on January 31st starting in Ashton Keynes near to where my brother Robin lives. I couldn't persuade him to enter too, but maybe he will ride part of the way with me.

Gridironman.


No comments:

Post a Comment