Sunday 17 January 2016

A Turbulent Week.

It has been a very interesting week for me. On Tuesday I bought a new (to me) bike and joined the Winchester CTC for a short ride. On Wednesday I took out the new bike for another ride which ended in ignominy, having to be recovered by my daughter in her car. Then on Saturday I led the Winchester CTC Intermediate Ride in somewhat icy conditions. 

Tuesday 12th Jan 2015. New bike & a gentle ride.

After a visit to the doctors I drove to Four Marks to conclude a deal I had negotiated with Owen for a very tidy second hand Merida Road Lite 903 with modifications to improve the specification. Owen had prepared the bike with suitable pedals and a new casette with lower gears. I took it for a ride around Four Marks, covering about three miles, including some uphills and fast downhills. I just loved it. In essence it is very similar to my Posh. I wonder if it is too much like it. My plan is to ride both and see how they compare.
We concluded the deal and I drove home with my new acquisition on the roof. Just in time to spot John Spiers on his bike turning into the Swan car park. I told him I intended to join him and the Winchester CTC after their coffee break. This I did and I had a good test of the bike's capabilities by climbing Mollie's Dismount and battling into the very strong wind along the road from Micheldever to Stoke Charity and Kingsworthy, surprisingly setting a new PB for the segment from Micheldever to Kingsworthy. En route I chatted to Julie about bike names and decided to name my new bike Milo.
We had lunch at the King Charles.  It was a very enjoyable social ride & good craic. I rode home alone afterwards setting a new PB for the segment from the M3 to Itchen Abbass.


Wednesday 13th Jan 2015. Milo & I have problems.

Andrew invited me to join him for a ride to West Meon for C&C so I decided as it was fine and dry to give Milo another turn. All went well at first, climbed to the Milbury's making good use of the lower gears before enjoying the great views from the ridge. We descended into Droxford finding our path blocked by a closed road. As I climbed the short diversion I realized I had a flat tyre. With Andrew's help I managed to find out how my new pump worked and after a bit of a struggle I managed to change the tube. We were unable to trace any source of the problem. We climbed Watton Lane onto the ridge where I realised my tyre was flat again. We repaired the tube. Andrew noticed that the rim tape had moved to one side and curled over exposing the spoke holes. He tried to adjust it but after we had re-inflated the tyre it went flat again immediately. I concluded it was time for help so phoned my daughter Sarah to ask if she could recover me. I told Andrew to push on and enjoy the rest of his somewhat curtailed ride. Rather than hang around in the cold wind I walked back down the hill to Droxford and along the A32 to Corhampton where I waited in the bus shelter out of the wind. Sarah eventually arrived having had some problems with finding me, thanks to mobile phones we managed to connect. I should have been more specific about where I would meet her. What a star she is! Thanks!
Of course when we got back to Alresford we had a cuppa and a good natter. After she left I went with the wheel to Owens Cycles. Owen was very apologetic and promptly replaced the rim tape and tube. He also gave me another tube and told me to bring back the other wheel so he could replace the tape on that one too. He has since done that. Very good and quick service.



Saturday 16th Jan. 2015 I led the Winchester CTC Ride.

I was very worried by the forecast on Friday night as it seemed likely we would have rain followed by a frost. When I woke on Saturday morning I found there had been no rain but there had been a sharp frost.  I walked into town to get a paper and to check out the road and path surfaces. I found them to be largely OK. However knowing some of the lanes were likely to be still wet with recent heavy rains I had it in mind to change my planned route if necessary. The sun was shining brightly and I was pleased to find that seven others had braved the cold to join me. There were : - Julie & Paul, John S., Ken E., Steve C., Joanne, Simon (the late).

Our ride went according to plan at first and we reached the Alma in Lower Upham within 55 mins. I decided to continue along Alma Lane hoping that it would be ice free. There were a couple of icy patches but nothing serious and we soon crossed Snakemoor Lane and continued down Stapleford Lane. As I turned the corner into Chancellors Lane I realised that the lane was completely covered in ice with water running over it making it extremely slippery as cars had been tracking water onto the drier areas creating fresh ice. I was able to stop before I had got onto the ice and shouted a warning to the others. We walked very carefully for about 100 yards before getting onto a dry surface. We turned South again and almost immediately encountered another very icy slope. Two of the group actually managed to ride most of it without any serious mishap but most of us walked again. The rest of the way to our coffee stop was fine and there we found two more members waiting for us. (Paul & Margaret). We were a few minutes behind my schedule because of the essential walking spells. After C&C Simon left us to find his own way home while I modified my original route plan to cut out several smaller lanes and stick to the larger roads. This plan worked well and we arrived at The Hampshire Bowman spot on the schedule at 1 o'clock. We had rather a long wait for our food but it was excellent when it came.  
Afterwards three riders who lived to the south of Winchester also left the group leaving 6 to climb to the top of Beacon Hill and descend to Alresford via Kilmeston, Cheriton and Tichborne. 
By the ford I abandoned the other 5 to find their own way back to Winchester. Well they are all familiar with the B3047.
I called at Simon T's to deliver a book before trundling home for a hot bath and a cup of tea.
Here is the record of my ride.



Thanks to my companions for joining me on an adventurous day out which I enjoyed a lot more than I'd expected on Friday night.
My total miles for the week a reasonable 81 miles. At least I believe that it's more than any of the other Groupetta riders, so I retain the medals.

Best wishes to all, 


Gridironman.


No comments:

Post a Comment