Friday 18 December 2015

Winchester CTC Dinner & Simon's rides to Lasham G.C.

Wednesday 16th December 2015. Winchester CTC Curry Evening at the Ghurka Museum.

Steve explains a technical point .
It was a damp drizzly evening for our annual dinner but at least three of the members managed to ride to the Museum. The majority did however choose to travel in comfort. Before the meal started we were able to mingle and chat and admire the Regimental Silverware and the many sets of medals on display.


Ian has heard it all before!
The meal was very good, lots of different curries and other dishes to choose from. Most of us chose to sample them all and some even went back for seconds!
Time seemed to pass very quickly and all too soon it was 10 o'clock and time to head for home. I was able to give Big Dave a lift to save his wife having to fetch him.
Thanks to John for setting up a special dinner in a special place.

Thursday 17th December 2015. Simon's Test Ride.

I joined Simon to test his possible route for Saturday's Intermediate ride. The weather was fine but dull and very mild. A touch of sunshine once or twice, but then after 2 p.m. it started to rain, fortunately very lightly.
This is my record of our route with my data. The actual course for Saturday is slightly less at about 50 miles.


You will be able to see we rode from Alresford to Itchen Abbass and where the black spot is on the map we picked up the planned route from Winchester and turned up Itchen Down to Northington.
There were lots of rooks and Jackdaws about and I noted that as I pounded up the hill they were going in the same direction at more than twice my speed, but then they stopped for a rest in the trees beside the road to jeer as I rode past them.
We successfully followed Simon's planned route to Lasham going an unusual way through Burkham, along Spain Lane and onto the A339. We rode this for a short distance before turning up a steep little pitch past a farm and into Lasham Village. We were soon at the Avenue G.C. where we had a lucky meeting with Joyce, Dick, Gill and Heather from the Alton CTC. We enjoyed the craic so much that we were there for over an hour. Simon and I shared one of the huge Belgian Buns they had on offer before we decided it was time to be on our way.
Back through Bentworth and Medstead and Bighton where I spotted a B.O.P. I am pretty sure it was a falcon, possibly a Merlin. In Alresford I was tempted to stop, but as we wanted to check all of the route we continued over the downs past the Milbury's towards Bishops Waltham. We turned westwards through Woodcote to Owslebury. The rain was getting a little heavier now so Simon donned his waterproof trousers while I stoked up on a cereal bar.
Two more hills to climb now, the first over Jackman's Hill to Morestead, then the busy Morestead to Winchester road. this was not nice with lots of cars whizzing by and two very large trucks passing us far too closely. This section will probably be removed from Saturday's ride.
AS we entered the city it was already beginning to get dark (15.45). We had had our lights on since about 14.00. As we sped along the B3047 my headlamp lit up Simon's reflective strips on his jacket beautifully.  
By 16.30 I was in the bath enjoying a long soak with a refreshing drink prior to getting a decent meal for my supper. I forgot to turn on the washing machine to wash my riding clothes so they have been done this morning (Friday 18th) ready for the repeat tomorrow!


Saturday 19th December 2015 - The Main Event

Set off from home at 8.45 a.m. for Winchester expecting Simon and Andrew to catch up with me. They duly did passing me in Martyr Worthy. At the RV another 6 riders joined us. Steve, Joanne, Julie, Paul, John & on time Simon too!
We split into two groups to minimise the impact on traffic and were soon climbing Itchen Down towards Northington. No rooks here today but about 100 geese enjoying the winter barley. A little later we heard them honking in flight. Maybe the farmer had chased them off?
Shepherd waiting to use the phone?

We zoomed down into the Candover valley where I was dropped by the group when I stopped to take a photo. When I got going again I found John and Andrew had dawdled to pace me back up to the group. Thanks guys.

A Belgian Bun.
Note how it fills the plate!
At the G.C. we found two more riders, Caroline and Ian who had come from Whitchurch to be with us for an early lunch. Service was very good and we were soon tucking in to a variety of meals. I had an English breakfast. Delicious! One of the group even managed a cooked meal and a large part of one of the G.C.'s Belgian buns, but he had to get help with finishing it off.

Our route back to Alresford was the same as on Thursday. Ian and Caroline left us near Lower Wield and four riders opted not to enjoy Simon's offer of home made cake and tea or coffee at his home. They missed out on a treat. The lemon meringue pie was especially delicious.
Andrew elected not to join us for the ride back to Winchester, leaving four of us to take the country route to Easton. Here Simon D. decided to take the Winnall route into the City and Steve went home via Kings Worthy, leaving Simon T. and me to trundle home along the B3047.

It had been another very successful outing enjoyed by all despite its innovative eating arrangements. Thanks Simon!

Here is my record of my route for the day. Only a few miles shorter than our test ride of Thursday.



My total mileage for the year is now 4,340 only 26 miles short of my record for the period since I came back to cycling just over 8 years ago. With a few more possible cycling days this year I am hoping I might reach 4,500. 

As this is my last blog before Christmas I would like to wish you all a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

Gridironman.








No comments:

Post a Comment