Sunday 6 December 2015

Ton up once more!

We continue to manage to largely dodge the rain, this week we didn't even need to change our regular cycling days.

Tuesday 1st December 

I was joined by Cycmon and we rode to Crawley pond to join seven other cyclists. 
After some discussion it was decided we would head for Gilbert's Garden Centre for C&C. The day was dull but at least it was dry and quite mild. The roads were pretty mucky in places where cars squeezing past one another splash the mud from the sides into the road. Once again I was pleased I had chosen my "winter bike" Sporty for the ride.

Unfortunately Cycmon was having problems with tyre slipping off the rim and had to ride with reduced pressure. maybe this was the reason he also had a puncture near Mottisfont.

As I did not see anything worth photographing on the ride here is a picture of the area outside the Cafe taken in the summer.
There was a good selection of cakes and drinks and we found it was difficult to tear ourselves away and set off on our return journeys home.

The first few miles we rode together, except for one rider who had to return to the G.C. because he had left his specs behind. (Glad I am not the only one to do that!)

Once back over the ridge we split into smaller groups with some going back to Crawley Pond whilst Cycmon, I and two others headed for Chandlers Ford. 

Once past the Hillier's Arboretum & the Potter's Heron Cycmon and I were on our own once more. Cycmon was having more problems because riding a fixed wheel meant he had no rest from pedalling. To add to his problems I took him the hilly way back to Alresford up that 14% hill in Owslebury and then down the fast descent of the A272 to Cheriton. Didn't his little legs whizz!

We were home well before dark having ridden over 56 miles.


Thursday 3 December 2015. HCMF Meet at The Tally Ho, Broughton.


I had planned a circular route to join the HCMF for one of their Thursday meets. I was joined by Cycmon and Andrew from the Alresford Groupetta, so does this count as a Groupetta Ride or a HCMF ride in my statistics? I guess I'll call 50/50!

The day was another dull one, but it did remain dry. We made good progress, reversing the route we had often used to come home from the Wherwell area, through Stoke Charity and Barton Stacey. As you reach the top of the hill out of Barton Stacey there is a lovely distant view to the west especially of Danebury Iron Age Hill Fort. We made such good time that I suggested we should call at the Waitrose Farm Shop for a coffee.
Waitrose Farm Shop.

We managed to lose Andrew briefly at Fullerton when he stopped to replace his dropped chain and lost sight of us. He thought we had gone up the hill towards Red Rice but realized his mistake when he didn't catch me on the hill!

I made do with just a coffee as lunch would not be less than an hour away, but my two pals indulged in cakes too! 

We eventually arrived at the pub just after one, having braved the A30 for a mile or so.  We joined a modest group of HCMF members enjoying their day. 

For lunch I opted for a Chicken & Chorizo special. It was delicious. Meanwhile Andrew had a good size sandwich and Cycmon a rather small tart, well he had indulged more at the coffee stop!
Crawley Pond in its Summer Livery!

By two o'clock most of our friends had left and I chivied my pals to get going again so we could get home before dark. We took a more direct way home managing to include Crawley Pond en route too.

It was nice that the strong breeze was behind us on that leg. With our lights twinkling we arrived back in Alresford  just after 4 p.m. The other pair had just done 50 miles while I was just short of that mark.



I decided not to join the Winchester CTC on Saturday as I felt it was far too windy. A decision I was glad about as I felt my car being badly affected by the wind as I drove into Winchester later in the morning.

The good news is that because I didn't cycle I was able to support Rock Choir  as they sang in the City Centre in aid of Naomi House. I loved the way they, being dressed in black, were in a penguin like huddle against the wind. The ones in the centre must have been quite warm. They were great singing among other songs "Something Inside So Strong!" 
I heard the Fusion choir sing that song last night at the "Disco" Centre" a different interpretation but both moving!

For those of you who don't know, I have a very good friend in each of those choirs.




Clearly the elevation data is unreliable as Cycmon and Gridironman rode almost the same routes.

Gridironman.






No comments:

Post a Comment