Sunday 18 October 2015

Simon's Salisbury Saunter!

I was able to ride again on Saturday 17th October after a spell off the bike following my second cataract operation.

I joined Simon and 14 other riders from Winchester CTC on a ride to  Hordcutt near Salisbury with some misgivings. Simon's plotted route seemed to take in a number of bridleways or private roads and about 1.5 miles on the A303. After some discussion with the other riders we amended the course to omit the first of these, a track from Sparsholt to Up Somborne. I led the way through the lanes from Sparsholt with help from another rider.
We were soon into Stockbridge where Simon decided to resort to navigating by map rather than following his Garmin route which was not displaying properly on his device. 
We headed North from here past Danebury Hillfort and the Army airfield near The Wallops. It was a good day for cycling for despite a strong north breeze it was mild for the time of year. I was however wearing my "longs" for the first time as were the majority.
We bypassed Palestine and skirted Grateley before locating the coffee stop in Cholderton. 

We enjoyed our coffee and cake on picnic tables in a pleasant covered area with a
number of bantam chickens helping themselves to the fallen  crumbs. 
Time was pressing now and with a number of riders not being at all happy about riding even for a short way on the A303 it was decided to further amend the route and take the A338 more directly to the Black Horse in Hurdcott near Winterbourne Earls. As service had been slow and because we felt that 16 riders together on a main road would be too many,we split into two groups. I had the honour of leading the first group for most of the way, doing my best to keep up as decent pace. The traffic was very heavy and one large French lorry came far too close to me. If I'd put out my right arm I would have touched it.  

The Black Horse, Hardcutt.
Our first group arrived at the pub spot on one o'clock confirming that our decision to shorten the route was a good one. Our arriving in two groups also assisted the landlady and her helpers in dealing with our orders. We had very good food, served nicely in the light and airy  little white extension.

Lunch over, but not our problems, Simon's route wanted to take us across closed MOD land, soon solved, we took the open road across Porton Down.
We crossed the A30 and climbed the very steep hill to East Winterslow. A real test for me but I did manage to ride it. 
Two of our group went astray here and descended another hill back to the A30 and had to climb back up again. While we waited it was agreed that four riders should set off while the rest of us waited for the stray pair. We set off back along the Roman Road towards Horsebridge and found the other four had taken a longer route and now rejoined us.
At Bossington some riders left us to find their own way home.
We were now well on our way back to Winchester with only a couple more tough climbs to do. Once more I struggled with my right thigh causing me a few problems but I did climb the hill to Farley Mount. It was another more innocuous hill near Crabwood Crossroads that finally defeated . My thigh hurt so much that  I had to stop. I walked for about 50 yards and the pain went away so I was able to get back on again. No further problems on any of the other uphill stretches. (No after effects today either.)
As we entered the City we started to split up and eventually I found myself riding back to Kings Worthy with Ken.
Thank you Simon and also to the others for their co-operation on the day which was a good one despite the problems we encountered. 

Here is my map and data for the day.


Alresford Groupetta News.

Somewhat diverse performances this week with both Simon and Andrew covering a lot of miles while several riders did not ride at all. Paddy even resorted to recording his walking miles !
Here are the provisional details.

Cycmon therefore holds onto the TUK Medal for the third week running!

Gridironman

No comments:

Post a Comment