Thursday 29 October 2015

Gridironman's Lee on Solent Giro & CTC ride to West Thytherley..

Wednesday 28th October 2015.

It looked like it would be wet on Thursday, so decided that as I'd missed yesterday's group ride I'd go my own again. Just after I set off I was inspired by a friendly wave from one of my pals to head for the coast. Here is my map and data from which you can see I managed to get down to Lee on Solent.

Sunshine filtering through the trees.
Near Shedfield.
It was another lovely day with bright sunshine showing up the autumn colours. 

With no clear plan I headed towards Titchfield Haven. (Hoping to see our friend Ann taking a dip?)

At the top of Beacon Hill I was disappointed that I was slower than my PB set in July 2014 on the climb from Cheriton.

Keeping largely to the lanes through Swanmore and Shedfield I paused to pop into the bike shop in Waltham Heath for a chat with the owner who I have known for 8 years.

I had to take a busier road from there to Titchfield. At one point a large queue of cars was held up behind a dust cart. I was able to keep moving faster than the cars!

Sea front Cafe at Lee on Solent.
Next I crossed the busy A27 using the pedestrian crossing and rode through the village. As I had plenty of time I continued through Stubbington to enjoy the sea views in Lee on Solent.

Fawley on the far side of the Solent.

After zooming up and down the waterfront my plan was next to ride back along the coast to Titchfield Haven via Hill Head. I was now looking for somewhere to get a sandwich but didn't spot anywhere. 


Travelling Lady in her home.
Note the wood burner on the right.


By the Haven I met this very interesting lady who was enjoying the views from her motor caravan home which even had a solid fuel stove. We had a good natter about the joys of travelling by van and bike. 


Titchfield Haven. (Not a mermaid in sight!)

Back to Titchfield and then started the journey home through Locks Heath and Park Gate to Botley.


Mark's Shop.20 High Street, Botley.

Here I discovered a new bike shop. Mark Alexander who used to run Hansford's shop in Oliver's Battery has set up a very different type of shop in Botley. He told me he is organizing bespoke bikes and doing bike fits. I sat on a bench outside his shop in the sun eating my lunch which I had got from the Co-op. Delicious sandwich of Smoked Salmon with cream cheese on brown bread with chocolate brownie and a soft drink all for £3.25. Excellent value and better scran than I've had in some pubs for more than twice the price. I am quite converted to this type of lunch break, provided it is fine.

Time was now marching on and I had about 2 hours to get home before the sun set so I took the main roads through Horton Heath and Fair Oak. Once again I was able to queue jump at a set of temporary traffic lights with a line of about 50 cars waiting!
My last challenge of the day was to climb the 14% hill to Owslebury. I did manage it without walking!

I was home about 4.30 having had a really good day riding.


Saturday 31st October 2015.

Ride of a different nature. I was joined by two of  the Alresford Groupetta, PinkPal and Cycmon to ride to join the Winchester CTC intermediate ride to West Tytherley. There were 11 of us so we split into two groups to lessen the impact on traffic. I led the first group to the end of Dean Lane where we paused to let the second group led by Graham to catch up. It was dull, but quite warm and I had already shed one layer. We were soon through Dean and Sparsholt and on our descent to Standon we met Ken coming up the hill to join us. 
St. John's Church,
Farley Chamberlayne.
Over the hill past Mardon Castle, to the surprise of the riders, Graham led us to the right, taking us up another hill to pass near to St. John's Church, Farley Chamberlayne.

This is along a very quiet lane leading to Braishfield.



Daren and Claire with the new trike.

We were soon at Poppies for a coffee and cake. Here another five riders joined us including Daren who was riding (? driving) his newly acquired machine. A recumbent streamlined tricycle. Daren assures me it is very good for carrying baguettes!

On our way once more with Gridironman leading the first group to the foot of the hill to Awbridge. Reunited once more we sped down into Dunbridge. Along the Dun valley to Lockerley where four of us took the wrong route and had to be reined in by Graham who had to have a breather after chasing us down.


The Black Horse, West Tytherley.
We continued through East Dean to West Dean before turning north to our lunch stop at The Black Horse. A couple of the group had left us along this stretch, I am not sure where.
As we enjoyed a refreshing drink and waited for our meals we were surprised to be joined by Alan and Barbara who had come by car. A very pleasant surprise. It was lovely to see and chat with Barbara as I had not seen her for some time. Paul left us here to head for home and the World Cup Rugby.
After lunch we headed back through E. Tytherley and along the Roman Road to Bossington. Several more riders peeled off here as we headed up the Test Valley via Houghton and Longstock to Leckford. The Groupetta and Steve continued up the valley while Graham and the others turned up the hill to cross the ridge to Little Somborne.
The four of us were now heading a chosen shorter way home (and the World Cup). Steve left us in Sutton Scotney while we continued through Stoke Charity and "that road" to Kings Worthy. PinkPal streaking off into the distance on Ruby 2 while I struggled to climb the humps encouraged by Cycmon. Of course PP waited for us at the crest of the ridge and we rode most of the way home with Gridironman leading at a reasonable pace. 
As we passed over the M3 we saw Alan and his son Robert on their way home from a ride. For those who need inspiration be aware Alan is 86!
I was home in time to have a shower and  see the The Allblacks beat the Wallabies using ITV+1.

What a great day!

Here is my route. Although I struggled to keep up at times, especially on the hills I was surprised to see that my average riding speed, riding the heavier of my two bikes, Sporty, was a credible 12.5 mph.

Thanks once again to my Groupetta pals for urging me along and to the group who made it a really fun day. 

Also a big thanks to Graham for a well planned route. Sorry we didn't always stick to the plan!



GRIDIRONMAN.


No comments:

Post a Comment