Monday 26 October 2015

Gridironman's Gentle Giro & Explorations in Wiltshire and Dorset.

Lovely Autumn Colours.

Alresford Groupetta Leader Board.

With only three of our group riding this week Andrew was the clear TUK Medal winner with a mileage of 158, Gridironman also covered over the ton with 121. Cycmon managed 53.


Tuesday 20th October 2015.

I had opted out of the Tuesday Group ride as I was uncertain about my right thigh muscles after the problems I had on Saturday. I decided to do a short gentle ride through Ropley to Four Marks for coffee and then home. A circuit of about 16 miles. However had no problems and decided to carry on from Four Marks to Lasham Gliding Club for coffee instead. It was a lovely autumn day and I sat in the sun enjoying my latte and a large chocolate muffin while I watched gliders taking off. One launched using the winch the other behind a tug light aircraft. There was very little wind and the visibility was very good so ideal for a spot of gliding.
When I got to Herriard Village I perversely took a right turn down the fast hill into Weston Patrick. At the edge of the village I took a little lane through Weston Corbett over the hill to Tunworth.
I followed the lane through the village before rejoining the larger road between Upton Grey and Basingstoke. 
Basingstoke from near Tunworth

However not wanting to go into the Town I turned northwards once more and was soon in Old Basing, crossing the A30 and heading towards Fleet. (Going East!) Not quite the way I had intended but never mind it was a ride of exploration! 


I paused to take some pictures of a Red Kite which settled in the field near the road, before I turned north once more through Tylney and Rotherwick and then edging my way westward to Sherfield on Loddon. 


Here I went into a pub and then a coffee shop in search of some lunch but neither had anything to offer at a reasonable price of the type of meal I wanted. A few miles west in Bramley I popped into a One Stop village store and got a meal deal for £3.00. It consisted of a very good Tuna and Sweetcorn on brown bread sandwich with a bag of crisps and a bottle of orange juice. Just what I wanted. Time to turn South once more past The Vyne National Trust Property to Sherborne St. John. This time I did not make the mistake of heading along the main A340 but continued to Monk Sherborne and Ramsdell, pausing near a war memorial to eat my picnic.


I crossed the A339 and climbed the steepest hill of the day into Ibworth. Spotted another red kite as I descended the hill to North Oakley. 

Just a few more gentle climbs to master now. I crossed the B3400 into Oakley and was soon in North Waltham where I rewarded myself a large chocolate coated ice cream whilst sitting by the duck pond soaking up the rays!
Once I was over the A30 and under the bridge of the M3 I was onto my big ring all the way to Totford. Another red kite in the sky here. Then just one more hill, over Abbotstone Down and I was home having covered rather more miles than I'd set out to do. In fact I had covered over 100 km. Does that put me in line for the TUK medal?
In addition to the three kites I saw a lot of pheasants and partridge, many rooks and jackdaws and the flash of blue jay as well as quite few buzzards. The trees are really showing plenty of colour now and with light winds and sunshine it was a perfect day for cycling.


Saturday 25th October 2015.

It was a perfect day for a Groupetta ride of Exploration. Simon had plotted a ride from Wilton to Shaftesbury and back. We met at Andrew's house to load all three bikes into his car to drive to Wilton. We left Wilton following Simon's prepared route in reverse, but soon abandonned that plan as once again his Garmin unit did not co-operate! We made good time along the valley to Wylye, following the railway line and the river, hence fairly flat. However when we got to Wylye we turned up a long and in places steep hill. I had to walk a small stretch of it. A series of hills tested our legs and lungs and we descended a very steep hill into Dinton. we were almost back onto the A30 now, so we turned towards Tisbury. Here we found a nice coffee shop and enjoyed a welcome break. 

We continued westward into the village of Semley where we found a number of vintage cars outside the Benett Arms. Naturally Simon needed a break to examine them more closely. 


Simon with his vintage Sunbeam bicycle alongside
 a Sunbeam car of about the same vintage.
 Andrew was doing a sterling job navigating from experience of the area together with CycleMaps on his mobile phone. He led us into Dorset and through Gillingham where we turned back eastwards towards Shaftesbury. After a couple of frustrating attempts searching for somewhere for lunch we found a very pleasant garden centre near the edge of the town for a nice snack. 
Time was marching on so we sped along the B road towards Shaftesbury, turning up a small lane which led us into the town at the top of another very steep hill which both Simon and I walked.
We admired the views before visiting Gold Hill, famous in part for the Hovis advert. 
We then hightailed it back to Wilton via Berwick St. John and Broadchalke. The shadows we cast on the road growing longer,  as the miles ticked by, until they finally disappeared and we needed our lights on for the last five miles. I managed a top speed of not quite 40 mph on my descent into Wilton in the dark. Scary stuff! But I do have a good front light.


Simon climbs Gold Hill in Shaftesbury
Here is Simon's own report of the day:-

Inspired by a Facebook post of 'Hovis Hill' or Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, I persuaded Andrew Wilcox to drive Bryce Mansfield and myself to Wilton and ride a 53 mile course which included this landmark hill. To get into role I decided to ride my 1937 Sunbeam Golden Tourist my oldest bike and don the right attire of cloth cap (bakers) and knee length socks. The ride even before we got to the 'Hills' of Shaftesbury was challenging on a bike with only 3 gears of 60-54-46 inches! On route we came upon a pub where many vintage cars were gathered of which there were also 2 Sunbeams from the late 1920's as well as a stunning vintage MG - an 18/80 Mark 1 identical to that which Sir William Morris gave to the aviator Amy Johnson - one of the most desirable MG cars only bettered by MG K3 or the 18/80 Tigress, I had to be dragged away but only after myself and my Sunbeam bike were photographed with both Sunbeam cars! On then to Shaftesbury and the climb up Gold Hill (or rather walk) - its about 1 in 4 and slippery cobbles so there was no way on this bike and without a helmet I was going to attempt riding. 


.The return loop was equally enjoyable as the weather was cold but dry and at times sunny and the roads quiet - we just managed to return before darkness fell. A great day, with great fellowship, great scenery and vintage cars and bikes what more could I ask for? If you look at my posts you find Simon's Hovis Ad Remake - The Movie!








A refreshment stop and time to fit lights as we approached Wilton.



A big thanks to Simon for not only organizing the day but also for bankrolling it too. Thanks to Andrew for driving us there and back.

Here is our route for the day. 






Gridironman.







No comments:

Post a Comment