Wednesday 30 September 2015

The Alresford Groupetta Explore New Lanes.

Alresford Groupetta News.

Another great week cycling thanks to lovely autumn weather. The Alresford Groupetta very active with three riders clocking up over 100 miles. Cycmon is the winner of the TUK medal just pipping Gridironman by the mileage from his home to de Lucy Avenue!

Here is the Leaderboard.:-


Rank
Name
Miles.
1
Cycmon
137
2
Gridironman
136
3
Paddy
101
4
Andrew
82
5
PinkPal
77
6
Mark
0


Total
533

Tuesday 29th September 2015.

Simon led a group of 11 on a winding route to the Cloisters Tea Room in Petersfield. It was a lovely day and in the sunshine it was warm, a bit chilly in the shade and at first most riders were sporting long sleeves. The wind got stronger as the day went on making it hard work on the afternoon route.

We left Alresford via the footpath which runs just below the dam towards Old Alresford we then looped round through Drove lane to head south through Tichborne. Next Hinton Ampner and Brockwood where we encountered some patches of loose gravel. We crossed back over the A272 and climbed one of the steepest hills of the day to Privett. From here it was an easy ride to the top of Stoner Hill where we descended into Petersfield achieving top speed and possibly exceeding the speed limit? I took over the lead as we entered the town to avoid the level crossing and then discovered my alternative route needed a slight adjustment due to the one way system.
The break was most enjoyable with a variety of snacks and drinks being taken. PP told us more about LeJog and we had a spirited discussion about the accuracy of Garmin elevation data.

Our route back was along familiar roads through Stroud, Langrish and the Meons. 
Here is Simon's own report of the day.


Simon by East Meon Church.
56 miles ridden today leading the Pedallers Group on a circular route to Petersfield from Alresford and return as phase 1, 38 miles, then about 18 for those few that hadn't had enough of a good thing (well the weather was glorious) round the Candovers. I can't really fit in taking photo's while leading these rides so just a couple snapped by others. Seen here riding my 1965 Holdsworth Mistral (model just before the Professional) exactly as I raced it in the 60's! The Bianchi Jersey is my 60s / 70s version - I've managed to acquire 2 Bianchi period wool jerseys in as many weeks!

Part of the group making good speed
 between East & West Meon.



Four of us did the afternoon loop from The Swan to Upper Wield via Bighton and Chalky Hill returning via the Candover Valley.

Thanks Simon for a well thought out ride.

For those interested in Statistics here is a table showing the problems with trusting too much to Garmin elevation data.




  1. It seems that both Sarah and Simon were below sea level at some time.
  2. Simon's and my totals overall seem close.
  3. Sarah's for the shorter ride seems for once to be less than mine with about a 10% difference.
  4. My maximum seems to be a little on the high side whereas Simon's seems low and Sarah's well understated.
  5. Of course as we all recorded slightly different rides from and to home there are bound to be some small differences.
  6. The profiles shown below the maps sometimes differ from the digital records. For example my profile gives a maximum of 692 whereas the digital record is 724. 692 is about correct going by the OS map.
  7. The lesson to be learnt from this is that these readings are clearly not very reliable! Though I still think mine are the closest to reality!!!! 
  8. Comments welcome.

Thursday 1st October 2015.

Simon's report of the ride:

Three of us managed a 40 mile ride today, Bryce led us the scenic route to Basingstoke where we had a rather generous chocolate and ginger cake plus coffee at the Conkers Garden Centre. We returned via Lasham and Medstead where I attempted a rather fast descent to now find that once again my Garmin failed to record correctly - looks like its for the bin! 




Simon resplendent in his Barelli
UK Race team jersey
.
Today I did ride a bike not ridden this year my 1953 Claud Butler Avant Coureur Special, I have yet to restore the frame which will be a flamboyant burnt orange with black head tube and seat tube band, this frame is of bilaminated construction (false lugs - fillet brazed). It is my British racing lightweight as almost all the components are from UK suppliers of the 1950's. I was riding 'tubs' or tubular tyres which are glued onto sprint rims so you have to take a complete tyre in case of a puncture, any more than one puncture and your walking home!


It was a lovely sunny day and had it not been for the cool east wind it would have felt more like mid summer.


Here is my map of our route from which you can see we went via Ellisfield, a quieter route than the B3046, it also benefits from having a very fast and exciting descent to Cliddesden. (my fastest of the day).



Andrew & Bryce


I am afraid that Andrew and I were tempted by the siren call of cold beer as we passed through Bighton and spent a happy half hour basking in the sun and slaking our thirst while Simon continued homewards.

Another good ride for 50% of the Alresford Groupetta. Sadly the other 50% were busy working! 

The joys of being retired! 

Saturday 3rd October 2015.

Simon Turner
3 October at 21:03 posted on Face Book.

After a quick exchange of ideas last night for our ride today my initial proposal to drive down to the south coast and do 55 mile ride was kicked into touch, so I sent the 'lads' ride No.8 'A Quintessence of England' from Jack Thurston book Lost Lanes. This seemed to be the perfect compromise and indeed we had a really great time riding the route at a leisurely pace which allowed the countryside to be properly explored. 
The Red Devil and A Cool Old Guy.
Lugarshall.
Some 43 miles were covered and the essential coffee (or tea) and cake were taken at Coco Cafe in Petworth, a rather 'cool' place with lots of retro items including a 60's Vespa in the front window and inside vintage sweets and chocolates as well as cakes of course. I was dressed in my red devil outfit and riding my 1950 Bates BAR with Sturmey Archer 3 speed Ultra Close Ratio gear, well Ray Booty managed to do a 100 miles in 3 hour 40 minutes on a similar machine in 1955 (or there about) which was the same time it took us to the 44 miles! One 1 in 4 hill defeated us all - I made the weak excuse I was worried about breaking my alloy Sturmey gear by 'honking' off the saddle. Thanks Paddy Roadnight for taking us to the start at Liphook, and my thanks to Bryce Mansfield for loading the route into Garmin and leading us astray........ops I meant navigating us - second thoughts maybe astray is more accurate!

My own take on the day:

We had a great day, it was great to ride some unfamiliar lanes in the beautiful West Sussex. Many wooded  areas and great views of the South Downs. One lane very sandy causing us a little anxiety with staying upright and some potholes in places.!
Wooded Lanes near Petworth.
Can you spot Paddy in the distance?
Lots of  little hills and a couple of tough ones too. The roads were quiet except for the town of Petworth and a couple of main road stretches. Lots of other cyclists enjoying the lovely sunny day.
The woods near Graffham changed from sweet chestnut to pine to silver birch as we rode through them. It must be a great area for wildlife. Otters have recently been seen in this area. The Rother Valley is beautiful and a great area for cycling with many small lanes I recommend it to anyone wanting a change of scenery for their next ride.

I confess that I did miss one turn on my Garmin as I rocketed downhill at about 35 mph, but in any case we needed to go "off route" there to go into Petworth for refreshment. From there using my maps, which for once I had remembered to take, I led the lads through about four miles of lovely lanes to rejoin the route at Selham. Near Midhurst we passed the Polo Grounds.


Paddy tops the Black Hole !
The last climb from Milland to Liphook was as Simon says too steep for all of us at 25% and I did walk one short climb earlier in the ride when I totally misjudged the steepness and was in the wrong gear and just came to a complete halt much to Paddy's consternation who nearly ran into the back of me. (Sorry Paddy!)





Looks like a change in the weather this coming week, but hopefully my pals will be able to get in some good rides. I however will be sidelined as I am undergoing a second cataract operation tomorrow.

Gridironman.





No comments:

Post a Comment