Sunday 6 September 2015

LeJog. Also with Simon to Bighton & leading Winchester CTC to Curdridge for lunch.


Alresford Goupetta News

& Le Jog..


As many of you know PinkPal is currently riding LeJog with a group of equally mad but determined other riders from all around the country. This means she has won the TUK medal many times over with the incredible week's mileage of *****.

Here is our Leaderboard for the week with PinkPal way out of reach of the rest of us poor mortals:

Anyone wishing to sponsor PinkPal can do so through this link:-


http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/SarahLEJOG


For those interested in the mundane compared to the exceptional carry on reading below:


Thursday 3rd September 2015.

Simon joined me for a shortish ride to The English Partridge in Bighton. As it is only about 3 miles from home we thought we would make it a bit further. We did this nice little circuit  through Ropley and East Tisted to Alton and then back via Medstead to Bighton.

Our Route and data for the day.
The Baines.
Simon was riding his 1939 Baines, "flying gate". A most unusual looking machine which elicited a lot of interest at the pub.

Is this a real veteran cycle or is it one of Simon's own creation?
The Super Champion Osgear.





There was a fairly small gathering today, probably less than 20 in all. However it was good to catch up with a number of friends who we'd not seem for a while.

We only stayed for a beer and the craic before we headed home for lunch. Another few miles clocked up but nothing compared to the miles being covered by PinkPal and her fellow riders who are as I write this on their third day of riding LeJog and have already covered over 200 of the 1,000 miles.

Saturday 5th Sep 2015 Winchester CTC ride to Curdridge.


It was a cold grey day and I was glad I had opted for the long sleeve jersey and added a gilet.

For once I was without my best pal Simon who was busy with other matters. I rode into Winchester to lead the all day easy ride.
At the RV I found two Kens, Steve, Lynne, Caroline, Kate, Sylvan, Maggie and Alan E.

I had planned a wriggly route to add interest for the newer riders and to test my Garmin Course on my 200. We got along well, keeping a nice compact group with Ken 2 acting as La Laterne Rouge.

As we climbed Gander Down we were lucky to have a red kite circle right over the road. (Waiting to pick the bones of failed climbers?)

We enjoyed the lovely lane towards Upham with its arching hazel coppice like trees. We were reminded that for every down there is an up as we met that steep little climb to Upham Village.

A few more lanes and we were in Bishops Waltham to enjoy a coffee break.  

I led the group to Swanmore where we discovered the road to Waltham Chase was signed as closed. I rightly guessed that this would not apply to cyclists, in fact the road works were dormant for the week end and cars could easily get through too.


We were at the pub too soon for two riders who were not hungry so they left us to return to Winchester.

In fact by the time we had ordered food and enjoyed a sociable chat the rest of us were quite capable of tucking away a modest meal.

Here are my friends waiting to be served:


Lunch at the Cricketers, Curdridge.
I have been having some problems with my left knee for a couple of weeks, but strangely it doesn't hurt much while I'm pedalling but twice I got stuck on my bike when  it would not support me when trying to dismount and I'm so clumsy when I try to get off the other side!

Apart from the occasional bleep from my Garmin which I could not understand it worked almost perfectly and we followed the plotted route except for when it wanted us to go the wrong way through the one way system in Bishop'sWaltham.

Our route back to Winchester was through Durley, where Ken 1 and Alan left us, Lower Upham and Colden Common.

As we descended the hill from Twyford we were passed by another cyclist on a hybrid. I tucked in behind him and enjoyed the shelter from the wind to the Hockley lights. I chatted to him as we rode the cycle path into the city and discovered he had followed a very similar route to ours having been to Botley.

As we entered the city we dispersed and I was soon at my daughter's in Kings Worthy enjoying a refreshing cuppa. 

I eventually arrived home well before 5 o'clock and was soon in the bath soaking my poorly knee & enjoying a glass of Pinot Gris. (It's OK I did check with my FB friends that it was wine o'clock before indulging)

Here is my map and data for the day.


 A very satisfactory 11.1 mph for an easy ride. It was a most enjoyable day for me as a leader as we kept a tight group with Ken 2 making an excellent job of sweeper. My thanks to all

GRIDIRONMAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment