Saturday 12 September 2015

Saturday 12th September 2015.

This one picture really sums up the great story of the week:

Sarah ;  "I've finished, whoop whoop.
Wet and freezing cold but so happy"

Over twelve days Sarah and a group of 10 others, including her friend Lindsey,  covered over 1,000 miles from  Land's End to John o'Groats. Congratulations Sarah on an epic achievement. I know you all have had to overcome some tough days and have amazed all of us by your resilience and determination.

Here are Sarah's own words reporting on the progress.:

Day 1 Landsend to Liskeard.

Today was the hardest cycle ride I have ever done. The hills were awful. I came off on the last hill I have a few bruises but I'm OK. The weather was beautiful though it did start to rain at the end. Hopefully I will sleep well tonight but think it maybe a good idea if I take pain killers tonight. Xx

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/885102294


Day 2 - Liskeard to Tiverton
I thought yesterday was bad but today was a real struggle. I've climbed more in 2 days than I normally do in a month. Good news, I didn't fall off my bike yay!! Tomorrow we are cycling 92 miles, it's supposedly easier but I don't believe anything our guides are telling us.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/885863152




Half way up the hill onto Dartmoor from Tavistock
(in the background)

Day 3. Tiverton to Tintern. 94 miles. The morning was hard because of the bruise on my leg, painkillers helped. My bits are very uncomfortable and I've only done 3 days. We didn't get to the hotel till 7pm so it's been a very long day. Not as hilly as the last 2 days but still plenty of hills. It was lovely to seeSimon Hall today and bless him he brought are LEJOG jerseys. The last 5 miles uphill was hard, did feel like having a bit of a cry but didn't, I pulled myself together for a lovely downhill into Tintern. Thank you so much for all your lovely encouragement, believe me it does help. Love to you all xx

Day 4 - Tintern to Shrewsbury
Much better day today, still quite hilly but we had a bit more of a break between them. It was a faster ride which was tiring and my left knee is still giving me problems, the painkillers help. My rear is still a tad uncomfortable but that's not surprising considering the amount of time we're sat on a long thin thing.
I couldn't get my Garmin info up for yesterday, for some reason it doesn't want to download. Here is today's.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/887831250


Thank you so much everyone who has sponsored me, I would like to thank you individually but we don't have much time between cycling, eating and sleeping. Xx

Day 5 Shrewsbury to Preston 

Morning of day 5 is not a good one. The pain in my left knee has got worse. It's just as well there aren't as many hills. 47 miles done and we've stopped for lunch. Update later x


Other than my knee it was a good day though the scenery wasn't as good. Seemed to cycle between a lot of hedges and into lots of towns. We've been lucky with the weather again, a bit of drizzle to start with but then it brightened up. Guy our amazing bike mechanic is going to alter my cleats tomorrow to see if that will help my knee. Sometimes I wonder what the hell I am doing especially when I struggling up yet another hill but then everyone comes together to support you. It's a brilliant group of people, not one of them seems to be miserable, they are all so up beat. I then realise what an amazing thing I am doing. Tomorrow we go into Scotland which seems bizarre, to think I have cycled all this way already, wow!! We do another 95 miles tomorrow which seems cruel on a Sunday, so think of me when you're all having your lie in.

www.virginmoneygiving.com/SarahLEJOG

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/889031963

 Day 6 Preston to Carlisle
Beautiful morning, not a cloud in the sky, views are lovely. Knee is feeling good so far but just about to go up a very big hill which apparently you can see the whole Lake District from. Fingers crossed I'll be smiling when I get to the top.

Just got to the top of Shap, amazing, absolutely beautiful day

Amazing day today, fantastic weather, brilliant cycling. Struggled with the last 10 miles as it felt like someone had swapped my saddle for a brick. I have had no problems with my knee today which is such a relief.
I am eating like a horse, you get so hungry. Luckily I'm burning about 4000 calories a day so I can get away with it. Tomorrow we are cycling 109 miles going into Scotland so I may not be able to update you till Tuesday.
Thank you again for all your wonderful words of encouragement, you're all amazing xx

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/890400053

Further to Sarah's comments about stage 6 I thought you might like to see Sam's (the leader) comments.

Day 6 Preston to Carlisle. We barely stayed on the A6, as we navigated our way across 95.5 miles of stunning scenery, with a fantastic climb up Shap. All LEJOGgers absolutely smashed the hill. Great achievement on a hot, hot day. Can't believe we all finished at 6pm again, these guys are one incredible team. Drafting to finish at 20+mph average for last 5 miles! Incredible cyclists every one of them

Day 7.Carlisle to Kilmarnock.

No posting from Sarah but she had uploaded her map and data which can be seen here:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/891514475

Her friend Lindsey also posted this description:

Day 7: apologies for the late update. It's been a long day! We cycled 112 miles today with 4700 feet of climbing!! Took me a while to get going this morning, but by the water stop I felt like I'd loosened up a bit.

We arrived in Scotland through foggy weather, but by late morning this had cleared and we had a lovely warm day (maybe a bit too warm!) we've seen some amazing scenery and some really bad roads. I'm so tired now that I'm going to sign off. Thanks for reading  my little updates. X




Day 8 Kilmarnock to Inveraray 80 miles
Watched the weather in the morning and thought Yay!, going to be a lovely day but no, misty and cold. The morning was a bit hilly which wasn't nice for the muscles. I think they are shot to pieces after yesterday. Then everything settled down and it was a lovely ride in the afternoon. Not too keen on the roads up here, very rough. My hands, wrists and arms felt the brunt of it. Cycling round Loch Lomond was incredible, it's such a beautiful area. We then had to climb up a very long hill which wasn't too bad because it was one of their very rare smooth roads, it makes such a difference. Took some lovely photos at the top and then had an amazing downhill. Bit frustrating when we had to stop for traffic lights on the way down. Lovely to get to the Hostel a tad early for a change, everything always seems to be a rush. Roughly 70 miles cycling tomorrow to head for Fort William.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/892311008

Day 9 Inveraray to Fort William 72 miles

Sarah has recorded two separate sections to her route today.

She has not reported any other details yet, but to keep you all up to date here is other information:

First part :

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/893274572

Second part:


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/893274633

Here is a report by Lindsey, Sarah's friend.

Day 9 : Inveraray to Fort William Three to go!! Today's route took us from the unbelievably beautiful Inverary to Fort William. Pretty much one road, the A83, but boy the scenery is just stunning! We were able to join a cycle route for part of the day. A totally different day from yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Our stops were in the most amazingly picturesque places, the sun was shining, and the loch waters glistening. For a moment it actually felt like I was on holiday The sun is set to last until Friday which means our last day might be a tad damp - but who cares, it'll be a celebration whatever the weather.




Sarah's report, Day 9  72 miles
What a beautiful day, thoroughly enjoyed it. The scenery here is fantastic. Beautiful Lochs and mountains. The sun was shining. If I didn't have a problem with the pressure in my rear area then today I would say was perfect! Sorry no Garmin download as WiFi is awful. Hopefully do it tomorrow. I can't believe the amount of comments I have had, they're lovely to read especially the one from my lovely dad as he has a fb phobia. Love you dad xx


Top of a very big hill yesterday that went on for 5 miles. Very happy to be at the top.

From Sarah.

Day 10 Fort William to Tain. Just got in after a 105 mile ride with a bloody great big hill in the middle, so so tired. Shower, food and bed for me x

She obviously just is too tired to send more or even upload her route to Garmin.
I wonder how many of us could have managed what she has.

Day 10 Fort William to Tain 105 miles
All started well in Fort William, we went to the Commando's war memorial, took some pictures and a quick stretch, we got to our first water stop very quickly. We then got to Saint Augustus which was beautiful, we spent a little time watching the boats come down the locks. Things then went down hill or uphill to be exact. It went up in 3 parts which we didn't realise when we started. It was one of the longest steepest hills we have done. When we got to the top the wind was so strong that when I picked up my bike to move it it went side wards. What should have been a brilliant downhill was pretty scary as you felt you were going to be blown off the road. The afternoon wasn't too bad but it went on a long time. I just wanted to get to the hotel as the sun was starting to go down and my legs had had enough. Once to the hotel it was none stop shower, food and bed.

Day 11 Tain to Betty Hill 70 miles
Brilliant day today, sun shining, wind behind us (most of the time). Gentle hills and stunning views. Scotland is truly beautiful. Legs still hurt but that's only to be expected when you've cycled 946 miles in 11 days. Can't believe tomorrow is our last day, it has gone so quickly. We're cycling 60 miles tomorrow but it sounds like the weather maybe against us, but we can't complain, we have been so lucky.

Today I got to wear the UmBongo Jersey which is very nice because it was for my keeping up with the front group most of the time and my steady pace up the hill. Shame it's been worn every day by different people and not washed for 10 days, smelly!


Sarah wearing the Umbongo Jersey



Day 12. Betty Hill to John o'Groats "I've finished, whoop whoop. Wet and freezing cold but so happy"

Day 12 Betty Hill to John O'Groats 51 miles
What a day! From the beautiful sunshine of the day before to the dark cloudy skies of today and very cold. Coming out of Betty Hill and our first climb with aching legs wasn't good. The winds were very strong 40+mph. The first 13 miles to the water stop felt like 50. Even when we went downhill you had to peddle or stop, the hills just kept coming it was exhausting. After lunch we had the choice of going up to Dunnet Head which was again uphill, Lindsey and I declined and carried on towards John O'Groats. It was a shame that it started to rain heavily at the end of our ride. But it was lovely to all ride in together with everyone cheering. As per usual I had a good cry. 1000 miles cycled in 12 days wow!!
Sarah

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/896826485

To contribute to Sarah's Fundraising go to

http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/SarahLEJOG

Alresford Groupetta News.

Of course Sarah has won the TUK Medal with over 500 miles ridden in the week. I think with two weeks of over 5oo she should keep it in perpetuity!

In addition Paddy was for the first time over 100 miles. Shame Sarah beat him.


Just for the record Paddy and I kept the Groupetta trundling along with a good ride today. We managed 56 miles. here is Paddy's Report.

A great day thanks to Bryce Mansfield 20 years older than me but still leaves me up the hills. Recent LSD training is paying off as I felt quite comfortable despite the extra 20 miles than I had planned (Bryce had other ideas) kept Heart rate well under control. Back over the Fire track so the cyclo-cross section was fun. Feeling good. Paddy.


Rather small beer when compared to Sarah's achievements.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment