Saturday 27 June 2015

Alresford Groupetta Meet with the Winchester CTC

Very Sad News.

Arthur Ramsey, one of our long time members of the HCMF died on Thursday 25th June, shortly after returning home from our meeting at East Stratton. Our thoughts are with Heather at this difficult time. I did not know Arthur well myself but had always enjoyed my chats with him and Heather on the occasions when we met.

Thursday 25th June, 2015. MY BIRTHDAY!

A fairly short time available for riding as I had been to the hospital for a pre-op assessment for a cataract operation next Monday. 
Cycmon called for me at 11.45 and we rode to East Stratton taking an indirect route, one with the easier hills via Itchen Abbas. Well that's what Cycmon told me as he was riding one of his single speed bikes. Secretly I think he was checking the route for Saturday. When we got to Itchen Abbas we met, by chance, a group of three from Winchester, along with David Parrott. We rode in somewhat loose formation to the pub. 
Simon and I paused to enjoy the fume of poppies on Itchen Down.

Field of White Poppies with Docks and Common Hogweed.

We found a select group at the Northbrook Arms already tucking in to some tasty morsels. Cycmon treated me to a birthday beer but we both declined lunch. Soon we were joined by the Fleet and Alton riders. We somehow managed to make our pints last for an hour and a half whilst enjoying the craic and sadly talking unknowingly for the last time to Arthur.
As to go directly  home would be a waste of a lovely afternoon we headed there via Micheldever, Stoke Charity and the country route along the Itchen Valley.

Route & Data for Thursday 25th June. 
It was a most enjoyable way to celebrate my birthday.
Thanks Cycmon.

Saturday 27th June 2015.

Cycmon was leading the Winchester CTC afternoon ride so to turn that into an all day ride for the Groupetta members, three of us, Cycmon, PinkPal and I, decided to start out at 10 a.m. and ride a roundabout way to the RV in Winchester. Unfortunately Andrew also tried to join us but missed us and found his own route to Winchester.
I was nominated to plan the route, so wanting to help PinkPal with her training for LeJog I took them a reasonably hilly way. We went via Tichborne for the first few miles as that is a nice warm up way. (i.e. mainly flat!)
We climbed to the top of Beacon Hill via Kilmeston. This enabled us to enjoy the fruits of our labours freewheeling down to Droxford Golf Club at a good pace of around 25 m.p.h.
PP was disappointed that I did not continue into Droxford, but I pointed out that would have required a climb back onto the ridge to get to Swanmore.
For a change I took Vicarage Lane which I find pleasanter than Hampton Hill. We turned back towards Winchester and rode into Bishops Waltham. Here I took Houchin Street rather than the High Street as I didn't want my pals to be tempted by the smell of coffee from the various cafes. 
As we had plenty of time we took the hilly route through Upham, where we resisted the siren call of the Brushmakers' Arms, Beybridge and Owslebury to Morestead.
The hill down to Twyford was not the easy freewheel I'd expected due to a fairly strong breeze right in our faces.
We soon covered the remaining few miles into the City via the cycle path and arrived at the King Alfred Pub before 12.30 giving us a full hour to enjoy lunch. We sat outside, for a while in the shade, but then as we cooled we moved back in the sunshine. 
Just before 1.30 we joined the other CTC Members at the Winchester Hotel Car Park. 
A very good turn out, 16 in all. With such a large number we split into two groups with Cycmon leading one and me the other. No wonder he'd led me this route on Thursday, prepping me for my big role.
Our route was the reverse of one Cycmon and I had done on Thursday, via Stoke Charity, Micheldever and East Stratton.

This time we rode past the pub.

The Northbrook Arms.
I led the group over the last three miles but sadly no one wanted to take up my offer of tea in my garden. I think it was my lack of promising any cake that persuaded them all to take tea elsewhere. Never mind perhaps on another ride when I have had time to bake!

Map & Data  Saturday 27th June
Of course the others, except for PinkPal still had to ride another 8 miles back to Winchester. 
Thanks Cycmon once again for a good day out.

There will be no cycling for me next week, so no blog report.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment