Sunday 12 July 2015

Back on my Posh Bike.

Saturday 11th July 2015. A gentle ride with Winchester CTC.


I was glad to be able to ride again after an enforced break of 12 days following my cataract operation. This went well and I now have much better sight in my left eye. So much so that I was able to ride without prescription spectacles. To protect my eyes I sported a new pair of cycling glasses which I got from Tesco for the princely sum of £13. The guy in their opticians recommended them from their cycling section. They have interchangeable lenses, clear, yellow and dark. I was very pleased with them.

 I left home just before quarter to one to ride into the City to join the Winchester CTC easy ride, led by Debs. Fifteen of us in all. 

We split into two groups to reduce the impact on traffic. David leading the first group and Debs the second. I was at the back of group 2 for a while but when it stopped near the Sarum Road Hospital I decided to press on to see if I could test myself and catch up with the front group. When I did, just as they reached Farley Mount, Simon was concerned that I might be overdoing it. I reassured him that I was not. I waited here for Debs and her group while the others went on. There were great views from the ridge and there were lots of flowers along the roadside to admire.
Yellow Bedstraw.
Dominant were the tall umbellifers, mainly common hogweed, but I also spotted honeysuckle,
yellow bedstraw and both white and pink convolvulus which were very prominent along the road between Kings Somborne and Crawley.


 At the bottom of the hill through Ashley we paused to regroup and I suggested to Debs that she and Lynne might like to carry on while Alan and I waited for the other 3 of our group. After 10 mins wait Alan set off back up the hill to see if he could find out why they had not appeared. Unfortunately Ninya had suffered a dropped chain which had got jammed below the chain catcher. Fortunately with Ken's help she had manged to free it.

Whilst I was waiting I took these pictures:

A Curious Tree.

Red & White Poppies.

Footpath through a field of White Poppy Seed Heads

Ninya and Ken took a shortcut to Up Somborne whilst Joanne, Alan and I followed Debs's route in case others were waiting on the road. Eventually we caught up with all of the others near and in Crawley. Now it was a quick ride to the newly found Little Kitchen, at the golf driving range beside the A34 near Three Maids Hill. 
I managed to be first in the queue and Simon and i were soon tucking into delicious chocolate cake whilst the others waited to be served. As usual this was a good time to exchange news and views and gossip. Eventually we got back on our bikes and split up to find our various ways home.
Simon led Mark and I back to Alresford by the scenic route via Easton, Avington and Ovington.

A great way to get back into my favourite pastime of cycling, here is my Map and Data for the day.


Gridironman.



1 comment:

  1. How did I manage to forget my favourite flower, rose bay willow herb.!

    ReplyDelete