Sunday 5 April 2015

Simon's Sussex Sixty and the Groupetta meet the Winchester CTC.

The Alresford Groupetta had planned a ride for Tuesday but when it was blowing a gale we decided at PP's suggestion to postpone the ride to Wednesday 1st April. This turned out to be an excellent decision.

Simon had planned a challenging 52 miles to Emsworth and back. He had loaded the route on his Garmin but unfortunately he still has not mastered how to follow a route on this device. This resulted in a number of deviations from the plan and by the time we got home we had covered about 63 miles.

We first overshot the turn from Woodlands to Brockwood so we ended up at the West Meon Hut Junction and took the A32 to the village. As we descended the hill we were buffeted by the very strong westerly wind, it was quite scary, but I did clock my highest speed of the day here at about 34 mph. 
Next we had to climb Old Winchester Hill. That first 200 yards is steep and even with my granny gear in action I struggled and had to pause to regain my composure at the top of it. Sarah stopped to take off a layer and Simon disappeared up the hill.
We were soon reunited at the top and made a very fast transit of the ridge with that wind now in our favour. As usual the hill down to Clanfield was descended at high speed recording another 32+ mph.
We headed south down the valley, always a fast run, but PinkPal and Cycmon both went even faster than me, so when they missed the turn to Horndean I was not near enough to tell them. 
We ended up in Cowplain and for the next few miles we improvised, following the old A3 into Waterlooville. Here we made a mistake in trying to avoid Havant Town centre when we looped round through Crookham to Bedhampton. Fortunately PP and Cycmon were able to sort out a route using maps on their phone and Garmin devices. In Bedhampton  with the advice of a passing cyclist we took a shortcut over the railway by footbridge.  Soon after that we were into Emsworth. We found our way down to the water front, declined a paddle in the briny and settled for a light lunch at Flintstones Tearoom. We sat outside in the sun for a few minutes but quickly moved inside when it clouded over.

PinkPal searches for the sun! We soon moved inside.

Our view of the water front.
As we were leaving the Tearoom I got into conversation with an elderly lady at the next table. I turned out she is Stella Rutter, an author who has published several books about her experiences in WW2. She is over 90 but looked much younger and appeared to be very fit. She worked as a designer at Supermarine and was hostess at a final party of senior commanders on the eve of D-Day. A fascinating lady. I would have liked to have had more time to chat.

Our route home was another interesting one taking us into Sussex through the village of Westbourne. We followed the valley northwards through West Marden  and Compton where we paused for refreshment. Soon we were climbing the ramp past Uppark, Cycmon commented on a previous time we'd ridden this with Paddy a few years ago on The Phil Hampton Memorial Ride.

We chatted with some other riders who came from the Hindhead/Godalming area.

Descending the very steep hill into South Harting I hurt my right hand when I hit a rough patch of road while braking. I shook it and tried not to use it too much for the next few miles and it soon was much better though it still is sore today.
We had turned into the head wind now and PP did sterling work heading the Groupetta and making good time despite the wind.
On reaching Petersfield we decided to try and stick with the quieter roads home along Ramsdean lane and through E. and W. Meon.
I was trailing badly by now with my little old legs telling me they'd had enough but PP and Cycmon were very kind waiting for me at the top of each hill. The last few miles were a repeat of our outward journey across Bramdean Common and through Bishop's Sutton. However When my two companions turned to go over Whitehill I decided not to join them but to go straight home.

Here is my record of the day. Cycmon and PinkPal's routes are almost the same but their moving speeds are of course a little higher.


A good day for all of us, we shared the work, Cycmon leading for a lot of the time and with PinkPal taking turns leading up the hills and into the wind. I did my bit too leading downhills and with the wind on the flats!

Thanks to both of them for their company and support during ride.
 (Pictures by Cycmon).



Saturday 4th April 2015. Alresford Groupetta join the Winchester CTC for lunch at the Royal Oak, Goodworth Clatford.

My two companions from the Groupetta have already published their reports of the ride. For those who have not seen them here are some extracts:
   
Simon Turner
4 April 

I'm not going to feel guilty about eating that chocolate Easter Egg having ridden 138 miles this week and according to 'Mr Garmin' burnt about 9000 calories.

Today I Bryce Mansfield and Paddy Roadnight joined the CTC ride; meeting the group at Popham Airfield, 52 miles on the 1937 Sunbeam. I'm pleased to say no hill defeated me and the average speed was 11.9 mph. I did join a group from a cycling club out training for a 300 kilometer ride tomorrow - I think I rather embarrassed them keeping up with them on their carbon lightweights and me on the Sunbeam almost 80 years old - not to mention those Oil Lamps!



Paddy Roadnight.

50 Miles - CTC Easy Ride
EASY 50 RIDE ?

Today I joined with  my Mentors Bryce and Simon to meet up with the Winchester CTC Easy ride at Popham. Simon was on his 1930's Sunbeam with attached Paraffin Lamps. Bryce was giving his 'Posh Bike'  a ride out. We left at 9:45 and took just over the hour with just over 1400 ft of Climbing.  It was chilly throughout. When asked if I rode through the winter I said yes and I was still wearing my Winter Kit.

As the group had arrived before us we decided to not go for coffee but settle for a drink from our bottles so we could move of quickly.


Harvard Trainer Popham

I noticed a particular aircraft and due to my youth of making Airfix Kits and  to every bodies amazement was able to Identify it as a Harvard Tandem Trainer. Feeling of personal pride was good.



We then recapped our route to head towards Whitchurch and then headed down to the Test Valley after passing through Tufton we enjoyed the river valley especially the section south of Longparish. Then quickly down to Wherwell and along the valley to Goodworth Clatford.

Sticking with the low intensity emphasis I was often last up the hills holding a conversation with Tail Gunner (looked after me all day) Tim. Holding a conversation is a good way of judging the level of effort.  


With two such good reports there is little to add except to say thanks to Chris for a good choice of route and pub. They looked after us well at the Royal Oak and the food was tasty. 

Simon has now won the TUK Medal for the week and ended my run of holding it. Here are the Groupetta Mileages for the week reflecting our increased activity with the longer days and warmer (?) weather. Well done Simon!  Due to other commitments PinkPal  was only able to manage one ride so she did well too.



The only downside of the week was my having a minor mishap which severely  damaged my camera. So none of the pictures are mine but have been contributed by Simon and Paddy. Thanks guys for that and your company and also to PinkPal for her contribution to the Groupetta's week's fun.



Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment