Monday 20 April 2015

UPPER CLATFORD CYCLE CHALLENGE IN AID OF NAOMI HOUSE.

It has been a great week for the other three members of the Alresford Groupetta but not quite so good for me as due to other commitments I was only able to do one special ride. The Naomi House Clatford Challenge organised by Simon Hall.

Here is the leader board for the week:




Cycmon once more topping the table but PinkPal pressed him close and would have done more miles if she had not been aiding a fellow entrant for the LEJOG ride in September.
I think she is worthy of the TUK award for the week too. Why not have joint holders of those over the ton?








The Naomi House Clatford Challenge Sunday 19th April 2015.

Three of us from the group had entered for the sponsored ride of 60 miles to raise funds for this worthy cause, but for various reasons we decided to make our own way there.
I was quite late arriving and by the time I'd got ready the briefing was well under way. As I joined the group I spotted my two Groupees and another Face Book friend who was riding with PinkPal. After a brief greeting and a photo of all the riders we got under way on the dot of 9.

Cycmon on left Gridironman 3rd left in blue Naomi House vest.


I kept up with the group through the village and up the first hill as we rode I was joined by Cycmon and we could still see the faster riders infront,but after 3 miles we encountered a very steep hill which defeated me and I had to walk about 100 metres. As the hill eased i tried to get back on but I kept doing miniature wheelies and frightened myself so I walked another 50 metres.
The run down to Houghton was fast and as we entered Kings Somborne I noticed we were averaging over 13 mph. 
Having left my water bottle in the car I popped into the village shop here to buy some water, I managed to find a bottle that perfectly fitted my bottle cage..
We had now turned into the NE breeze and for the next 20 miles or so we found it much harder going than we'd expected. In Kings Worthy we had our first short stop to top up our calories. I left Simon drinking coffee anticipating he would catch me on the hill. As I rode up the hill I was treated to the sight of a large group of riders from Alton descending the hill at speed. I recognized some including Frank and there were a number of shouts "Hi Bryce".
It was one of those moments when one enjoys the camaraderie of cycling.
At the top I was joined once more by Cycmon who reported he'd seen PinkPal and her friend.  

We were soon at the refreshment stop in Sutton Scotney enjoying the delicious cakes and flapjacks made by Simon Hall's family and other helpers. We  joined by other riders including PinkPal & friend.

Cycmon and Gridironman with helpers Pam, Elaine & Emily.

PinkPal and friend enjoying the refreshments.
Fully refreshed we continued on our merry way through Micheldever and past Micheldever Station. 

It was hard work here as the breeze seemed determined to slow us up. 




We made it to Hannington, just over the 40 mile mark about 1 o'clock and enjoyed a welcome rest on the edge of the green.

Hill & breeze conquered!



The green and grandad relaxing for a spell.
After a 15 min break we set off on the final leg. Luckily this was mainly downhill and we managed to increase our average from under 11 mph to over 12.2. There were of course a couple of testing hills. The first a very steep but thankfully short pitch in Cole Henley and the final one the winding climb from Wherwell. Simon left me here to sprint the last few miles to the finish. 
When I arrived there I found that PinkPal and friend were already there. How did they manage that? Mr Garmin had the answer. They'd dispensed with the climb to Hannington and cut about 10 miles of the route! Never mind they'd had a good test of their fitness and had help raise money for Naomi House.

The day was of course completed with welcome tea & cakes, essential to any good cycle ride.

Here is my Garmin record for the day.

Thanks Simon Hall and all your helpers for a great day riding with some great mates.

GRIDIRONMAN.


No comments:

Post a Comment