Sunday 12 April 2015

Winchester CTC Owslebury Circuit.

Simon keeps the Ton Up Kid Medal with a record 176 miles this week. Here he is basking in the sunshine near Avington House with me in close support.

TUK Cycmon and Gridironman returning from the Winchester CTC ride to Owslebury



What a turn around this week with me propping up the table. Excellent contributions from my three companions! I can only plead extenuating circumstances for my lack of miles on what has been a lovely sunny week for cycling.

Here are the details of my only ride of the week on Saturday 11th April 2015.


Simon and I had to abandon our plans for an all day ride, so we decided to join the Winchester CTC led by John S. for a easy (?) ride to Owslebury and back via a tea stop at Shawford.

I left home at 12.45 p.m. and waited for Simon at the end of the Avenue. Unfortunately Simon was delayed helping his son with a gear problem and I feared I had given him the wrong start time. Just as I was about to phone him he appeared and we hightailed it to Winchester. I led all the way and I was pleased that we made it in just over 30 mins, I think that is a record for me. I have now created a new segment on Strava so I can check in the future.
A large group of us (20 in all) left the RV just after 1.30, rather hurriedly just in case anyone else turned up! With such a large group negotiating the park with pedestrians and dogs and other cyclists about it was a major challenge to our slow cycling skills. I haven't mastered the "track stand" yet but I must be getting close to being able to doing it.

I took a few pictures of the group at the start of the dedicated cycle/footpath way to the Hockley Junction.













Please note that if you click on a picture you can see it full size and then you can quickly see the others. please feel free to download any that interest you.

Our route took us through Twyford and then we climbed a couple of nice little hills to get to Owslebury. Everyone took on the steep hill of 14% up to the village and then down the other 14% hill back to Hensting Lane.

We meandered our way through Colden Common and thanks to "clever clogs Gridironman" we put in a little extra distance by taking Brickmakers Road, a cul-de-sac instead of  Tees Farm Road, sorry John!
Soon rectified.

Refreshments were taken at Sacher & Strudel near the railway bridge in Shawford. At least one of our group took the opportunity for an alternative refreshment across the road in the Bridge Inn.

We enjoyed lots of chat here as well as en route before setting off in our various ways home. By the time Simon and I arrived in the centre of Winchester, having ridden over the viaduct and back along the cycle path with a few others, we were on our own apart from Helen. We said farewell to her before taking the picturesque route home through the villages of Easton, Avington & Ovington.

Once again i must thank John for leading our ride and Simon for keeping me company on the rides to and from the RV.

GRIDIRONMAN.




No comments:

Post a Comment