Sunday 29 March 2015

Stormy Weather Spoils Audax Prospects.

I thought I was going to lose the TUK Medal to PinkPal this week but the terrible weather today has spoiled her chances, as she has cancelled her Audax ride of The Dorset Coastlet. Hard luck PP.
The rain has affected me too this week, but I have still managed over 60 miles, my weekly target.

Late Photos from last week's Phil Hampton Ride


The Peleton about to start.
Can you spot me?
Waving Good bye!
Our little group of six round Upton Grey pond.
Frank second wheel, Mark fourth with Mike and me at the back.

Mark in the middle.

Mike and me.

Thursday 26th March 2015. HCMF Meet at The Jolly Farmers, Blacknest.

Simon and I set off about 10.30 to ride to the meet. I had chosen a route via Bighton and Medstead.  Simon was not sure that repeating that way was a good idea as it was in Bighton he'd had his trye explode on Saturday! I was still feeling the effects of that ride too plus the aches and pains from gardening and Simon was feeling a little under par, so I was happy to be riding Sporty and taking it at a steady pace. The roads were very wet from the overnight rain but they were already beginning to dry out. However I was glad of Sporty's mudguards as there were large puddles in many places and some lanes were very muddy.

We were soon at the top of the hill and Simon was warming up and took off his rain coat. 
The descent through Theddon is now much better since the Council have resurfaced Snode Hill. We took the direct route through Alton and Binsted and arrived at the pub in very good time, having taken not much more than 1 hour 33mins for the 18 miles. A small group of riders were already there and in the next hour we were joined by many more including a strong group from Fleet. 
It was very interesting to meet with Dave & Audrey and hear more about Dave's long visit to New Zealand. There was also much talk about Dave's plan for a ride from King John's Castle in Odiham to Runnymede in June to celebrate the 800th anniversary of the sealing of the Magna Carta. 

Here is my Garmin record of our jaunt from which you will see that our route home was a more southerly one through the Worldhams and Farringdon. The mileage was almost the same but our time was about 15 mins longer. This was mainly due to the very strong westerly breeze which had us pedalling hard to go downhill in places.


A very satisfying day out but I did feel more tired than I did after almost twice the distance ridden on Saturday. I put it down to the gardening!!

Saturday 28th March 2015. Ride joining the Winchester CTC.

Simon and I rode to Itchen Abbas to join the Winchester CTC led by Debs for a gentle afternoon ride to the Goodlife for a civilised cup of tea. We set off at 1.30 and reached the rendezvous by the Village Hall in plenty of time. I amused myself with my camera. Here is Simon waiting patiently. 


Simon on one of his oldest bikes, a 1934 two speed fixed wheel.
Debs leads the group down the hill into Itchen Abbas.


There were eight in the group. In addition to Debs, Sara, Caroline, Ken, Margaret & Paul, Helen and of course the ever green John S. bringing up the rear as back marker.

Debs's route was over Itchen Down and past Northington Woods to the Strattons. With some riders not having ridden much recently the overall pace was not too taxing and we had plenty of time and breath to chat as we rode.

The return to Headbourne Worthy and tea was via Micheldever Station and Micheldever. As usual "that road" from Stoke Charity caused some problems especially as there was a strong headwind. It threatened to rain at one point with a few drops in the wind but then next minute the sun came out.

We had an excellent tea at the Goodlife. Caroline told us about her plans for a ride to the Orkney Isles in May with her husband while Debs told us of her recent problems with falls from horse and bike! Afterwards we split to return our various ways home. Just as we were leaving the cafe Phil turned up, having followed us round the route some half hour or so behind. I had not seen him for about a year so that was a pleasant surprise.

I persuaded Simon to test his legs once more by taking the hillier route back to Alresford along the country route through Easton, Avington and Ovington. A fortunate choice as on our way we met another good friend coming the other way. Alex, who had been for a gentle solo ride to Ropley and tea at the station in Alresford. More chat!


Map and Data for the day.
Thanks Debs for a most enjoyable afternoon out on the bikes with friends both old and new and to Simon for treating me to tea!

Gridironman.



No comments:

Post a Comment