Sunday 1 March 2015

The Groupetta Have More Fun.

Simon recovers the Ton Up Kid Medal!


Tuesday February 24th 2015.

Crawley, Whitchurch and Hannington Circuit.

Another 50 mile Tuesday ride for Simon and I. We set off from Alresford just after nine and made good speed along the B3407 with Simon doing the hard graft with me sheltering on his wheel. There was a cold head wind so I was grateful for the shelter both to cut down on the effort needed and to keep warmer!

We met up with friends at Crawley and headed North to Whitchurch where we stopped for coffee at H's. 
In the cafe were two lady riders, also members of the Winchester CTC;  I had a nice chat with them before joining the others.
Of course as always we had plenty to talk about and it was some time before we were back outside in the cold, cold wind!
Most of the group were heading back to Crawley but Simon and I decided to join one other rider, who lives in Basingstoke, and take the road towards Kingsclere that we had ridden in the opposite direction last week. I must say it was much easier ridden this way as we zoomed down the steep hill in Cole Henley and also the other one near the Ovington road whilst on the gradual climbs we had the wind behind us.
We continued across the Ovington road to Hannington climbing a couple of steep pitches. Here we paused on the village green for further refreshments.
Our companion left us before we passed The Vyne and enjoyed more downhill riding to Oakley. We resisted the temptation to call at Jolly Olly's and crossed another valley to Dummer. From here another gentle climb took us to the B3406 which we followed home.




Saturday 28th February. Alresford Groupetta join the Winchester CTC ride to Alresford.

The day dawned wet and windy but the forecaster told us that the rain would be clearing later and that there would be some drizzle and light rain but it would be insignificant. Maybe it was from inside the studio but Simon, Andrew and I disagreed as we headed towards Cheriton into a squall! I had started in my over trousers but the others had not so we paused in Cheriton while they put them on.

Unfortunately we had to stop again as we reached Kilmeston, Simon had a flat rear tyre. We sheltered in the bus shelter while he replaced the tube.

Simon at work.
Note the surgeon's gloves to keep his hands clean!
We were soon on the road again and we met a few other hardy souls who had decided to brave the elements and get out on their bikes. At the top of Beacon Hill we were into the low cloud which made it impossible to see Old Winchester Hill to the East.
I followed the others down the hill to Droxford and was able to freewheel and even had  to touch the brakes as I drafted behind the others as they pedalled into the wind.
Simon led us through the village and over the hill to Swanmore, Andrew thought Simon was heading for Portsmouth when he failed to take the turn along Dodd's Lane into the centre of Swanmore but he did slow down and having caught up I diverted us up Chapel Road to get back on track.
From Bishop's Waltham it was hard work for Simon who was still leading as we rode into the wind but when we turned towards Winchester at Fishers Pond I took a turn at leading us into Winchester via Twyford and the cycle track from Hockley.

It was now 12.40, somewhat behind schedule thanks to the two stops and strong headwinds so we were very happy to get into the warmth of The King Alfred Pub for a tasty snack lunch.
I'm ashamed to say I hogged the radiator to dry out my kit!
We rode the short distance to the RV for the Winchester CTC ride which Simon was leading and here we found 11 other members waiting. An unexpectedly large turnout for such a dull day. however the rain had stopped while we were in the pub and the roads were already drying out. I had not met some of the group before so it was good to make some new friends but I'm afraid I cannot name everyone in the group!

Simon had planned a very good route to Tiffins in Alresford along the South side of the River Itchen and then through Tichborne to Cheriton and back over the hill across the Civil War Battlefield Site to Bishop's Sutton and into the town from the East. 
Unfortunately Simon had another flat, apparently he'd failed to remove the Hampshire Flint from his tyre the first time. I was riding la laterne rouge for Simon to make sure no one was left behind, so I had a good excuse for my slow time over this section of the ride.

I left the group when they went into Tiffins as I was only half a mile from home and I was keen to get home to watch the rugby and see Italy beat Scotland in a very close match.

Here is my map for the Groupetta ride.



It had been a very good day out despite the weather and I was very pleased to renew some old friendships and make some new ones. I look forward to seeing more of them all.

GRIDIRONMAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment