Sunday 22 February 2015

The Fight for the Ton Up Kid medal hots up!

Tuesday 17th February 2015. Groupetta Ride via Oakley and Freefolk.

Had a late start as I had an appointment with my doctor, so rode to join a group of friends at their coffee stop at Jolly Olly's in Oakley.
Made good time on the 15 miles there (11.5 mph) and found in addition to my two Groupetta friends another 9 riders. Three of us decided to take a long route home to stretch our legs, and get in some more miles, via Whitchurch. We thought that Ian and Caroline were going to join us but as we split from the others when leaving Oakley, Caroline not being aware of that decision, went with the main group. We paused expecting them to join us but after several minutes it was evident that they were not so we carried on. We headed North from the B3400 with yours truly leading the others into a pub car park by mistake before taking the adjacent turn towards Hannington. We turned along the Harrow Way and climbed gradually onto the Kingsclere Road. We turned towards Cole Henley climbing a couple of steep pitches to reach 631 feet our highest point of the day. In Cole Henley there is a nasty little hill of more than 1 in 7 to test our tiring legs.
We chose not to carry on into Whitchurch but instead followed the Watership Down route past the Travellers' Encampment and past the Watership Down Pub into Freefolk. 

Near East Stratton we had a short break by a seat with spring flowers planted nearby. 

Winter Aconites.
We were soon back on to familiar ground and S & S were heading for an over 50 mile ride, but just ot make sure Sarah took us down into Itchen Abbass via one of her favourite descents and then back into  Alresford via the ford. 
My Two Pals passing the cress beds near the ford..

I went with Simon to his house to collect my "Ton Up Kid" medal while Sarah continued home.

A very enjoyable day out with S & S and others to share it with 


Thursday 19th February 2015. HCMF Meet at The Cricketers, Easton.
Originally the Groupetta had hoped to fit in another group ride but unfortunately circumstances prevented this. Health issues and the weather forecast for rain from mid day meant that I was on my own when I set off just after ten o'clock to ride to the meet.
I had planned a route of about 20 miles to the pub and I followed this plan. Here is my map from which you can see I headed in a southerly loop through Owslebury and Colden Common and then back through. Winchester.


There were a few spits and spats of rain as I rode to the pub but nothing to be worried about. 
In Hensting Lane I met a large group of horses with riders and walkers from the Hampshire Riding Therapy Centre. A very worthwhile charity helping both children and adults with special needs. Here is a link to their web site:-


My route to Easton from Winchester was an unusual one up Quarry Road and along the Alresford Road before turning down to the village of Easton.


View of the downs to the east from the Long Walk near Easton.
I managed the 21 miles to the pub in just under 2 hours. here I found about half a dozen members of the group and we were soon joined by many more. Because of the forecast rain about half of those present had come by car to join in the fun which was partially spoilt by the pub seeming to be unprepared for us despite Angela having made a booking. However we did get the staff to turn on the lights in one dim corner and to turn off the unwatched TV which was spoiling the ambiance.
After a chat and a swift pint I headed home for lunch getting modestly wet on the way in the gentle rain. It has been much heavier since I got there!

Saturday 21st February 2015. Alresford Groupetta ride to Hambldon.

Simon's view of our day:

Yesterday I made some changes to my 1947 Selbach by swapping the sprocket on the 3 speed Sturmey AM (Alloy) hub gear from 19 to 22 teeth plus I fitted a pair of Phillips Alloy / Rubber pedals. The intention was to ride this bike today but with the lowest gear still being around a 48 inch, I just couldn't face pounding up the hills on our intended route and without toe clips! On our ascent of Old Winchester Hill it was clearly the right decision, being over a mile of climbing, plus we had several steeper hills on the route, one of which, just leaving Hambledon village, defeated Bryce Mansfield - can't remember any other time I've seen him walk part of a hill! So I was glad to be riding the Raleigh Royal with its very wide gear range and something like a 20 inch bottom gear. Bryce took the attached photos nearing the top of Old Winchester Hill and of myself trying to get a caffeine hit before the last 10 miles. 44 miles today plus 54 on Tuesdays and about 3 test riding the Selbach puts me just over the 100. But super competitive Bryce is still about 15-20 ahead. Clearly he will be retaining the coveted 'Ton up Kid' badge this week!


Looking South East from the top of the climb from West Meon.
Our destination the Beech Cafe just near the distant phone masts.

Looking towards East Meon over Henwood.


Wake Up! Simon you still have 10 mile to do. Bench close to the Brush Makers Arms - Upham
 
(Simon's own words)
At the Beech Cafe we sat in the sunshine while we drank our coffee and shared some of Simon's cake. A rider from Petersfield spotted my Ton Up Kid badge and asked what it was for. He suggested we should get one every time we did 100 in the week. Simon thought this would be too expensive.

I suggested a fast roundabout route to the village of Hambledon and we hurtled down the hill to Clanfield topping 34 mph. The gentle descent from there to Denmead enabled us to increase our average speed from sub 10 to 11.2 mph, sadly that was soon curtailed as we undulated our way to The Vyne. This was had almost a Marie Celeste quality with only one other customer. However at least it was peaceful and I enjoyed a most delicious baked spud with chili and cheese topping with a good side salad. Simon enjoyed his sandwich too.

Our journey home after lunch was via Soberton, Bishops Waltham and Upham where we had our second coffee, from Simon's Flask, accompanied by coconut cakes that I'd brought

I suggested we took Longwood Down Lane to the A272 so we could enjoy a change from the Milbury's route. This route also has another fast descent from the top of the down to Cheriton.

We were home before 4 o'clock having had a really good day out despite to cold wind.



Thanks Simon for your companionship!

Gridironman.








No comments:

Post a Comment